PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Post information on availability of Shiloh Rifles

Company “C” 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

Post subject: Re: Shiloh Rifles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 pm 
Private

Spoke with folks at Shiloh early in the week. They are gearing up for a run of 63 barrels and are indicating that this maybe the last week to place an order for this run. Delivery time may be as late as November as they have other rifle series in sequence. Shiloh quality comes with a price; expect to easily double the price of a Pedersoli when you add options like DST, etc..

Mike
Alaska

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 pm 
Corporal

Figures...when I'm up to my eyeballs in a Heavy Target Rifle project...

Post subject: 50 vs 54
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 am 
Private

With Shiloh's coming run of 63s, seem I'm edging closer to ordering the most expensive rifle of my live. I would like to know you good peoples opinion of 50 vs 54 when considering which caliber to select? Is there a ease of obtaining from retailers one caliber bullet over the other? Does one caliber shot more accurate then the other? Is there anything else to consider when choosing a caliber?

Also has anyone seen any rifle from shiloh with a wood upgrade? If I end up doing a custom order shiloh, I would consider a upgrade to AA wood finish if it would make my sharps a bit more sharper.

Thank You
David
http://www.11thcvi.org

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 pm 
Private

Confession time! I ordered a Shiloh Sharps 1863 rifle from the upcoming run and as my wife says, "...less sense than cents..." She also said several other things....... Anyway, I found Shiloh very accomodating, for a price, as I ordered several options to make the rifle more similar to a Berdan. First, I did order the rifle in 54 cal. simply since I have a Shiloh 63 carbine in 54 cal.. Also, if you use Charlie Hahn's tubes, the 54 cal. ringtails fit better in the tubes according to Charlie. I added the DST option. Also, I ordered the AA finish and this is just more tung oil hand rubbed into the wood for a nicer finish; has nothing to do with the grade of wood. I did pay an extra fee for hand select dark, straight grain walnut to better match original stocks. Of more interest, I was able to specify that the normal Shiloh barrel markings, those required, be stamped under the barrel and thus hidden by the forearm. I also requested the barrel be stamped "New Model 1859" rather than the normal "New Model 1863." I added a couple other options such a color case hardening, polished blued screws, and custom bedding for the forearm. I did not order the extra cost polished barrel as apparently the original rifles were specified in a "dull blue" finish. I opted not to include the lever retention catch as these were not included with the original Berdan rifle. Finally, the rifle will still have the Shiloh Sharps stamps on the lock, but these are of minimal size.

So all in all, I should have a fairly good replica of a Berdan which should prove accurate at the range and retain all the quality Shiloh Sharps is know for. And yes, this is expensive compared to Pedersoli, (about double) or an Armi Sport (about triple). If interested in a similar rifle, call Shiloh and price out such a rifle. Be prepared for sticker shock, but you will have a very nice rifle that will last a life time. By the way, I was told to expect late November delivery; there's my Xmas present!

Incidently, I spoke to another gentleman who recently sold a Shiloh Farmington-made Berdan replica for under $1500. Said it was a great piece, but he wanted a violin??? As I noted of myself, "less sense than cents" and "always late to the party!"

Hopes this helps. I have several Shiloh's and really enjoy the quality despite the high price. If you really want "sticker shock", price a Shiloh Sharps 1874 rifle with some of the more popular options.

Mike
Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:50 pm 
Private

Hello Mike

Thank you all the fine information about shiloh sharps and the rifle that will be crafted for you. Hopefully you’ll post some pictures of it when it comes in, I’m sure it will be very handsome. My wife is encouraging me to order a shiloh, ..you never treat yourself, do it”..But I must state, she’s a poster girl for spendaholics.

Yes, shopping for a used shiloh proved to be an interesting adventure. Most often, the rifle was snapped up within hours of listing or an adventure would ensue. I happen to have a phone chat with a Gent who also had listed a Shiloh Farmington-made Berdan replica for about $1500.00. Despite my interest in the gun, he swore nobody wanted it because it had double set triggers. So he put it back in the closet hoping to trade it someday, ...possible for a violin too.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:16 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

Pleased to hear Mike that you've been in contact with Shiloh and they are doing a production of NM1863 rifles. Interestingly, the original Sharps rifles were 52 caliber but the balls were .54 caliber. The Sharps factory found that they encountered slight variations when cutting the lands and grooves (rifling), so the slightly larger ball compensated for these irregularities. If I recall from Winston O. Smith's book (The Sharps Rifle), he recommended the third ring be 3/1000 larger than the rest of the cast ball. He found accuracy on his original Sharps very good with this configuaration.

One thing I'd check with the Shiloh people; make sure they are adding the patch box to the stock of your personal rifle. Originally, Shiloh produced all of their NM1863 rifles with patchboxes. But a few years ago when I was at a Jackson event with Mike Fahle, we went to the Lodgewood tent. Bill Osbourne (owner of Lodgewood) showed me a new Shiloh rifle he had recieved; what jumped out to me is that it didn't have a patchbox. Bill informed me that Shiloh informed him this was the new standard. I pointed out that the War Dept contract allowed for NM1863 CARBINES tbe manufactured without patchboxes, but all of the NM1863 rifles were to continue to retain this feature. Every original NM1863 rifle I've personally examined all had a patchbox. Shiloh would send me catalogues every couple years, and the last one I looked at, the patchbox continued to be an 'add on' feature/expense.

From your description, your Shiloh will be a real beauty to behold. When you finally get it, be sure to take a few digital photos and send them for Editor Dave Rider to post for the rest of us to see.

A few years ago, Michigan author, Wiley Sword put up for sale an original Berdan Sharps rifle from his collection. Compared to the 'standard issue' Berdan Contract rifles the men recieved, this one had a beautiful, rich wood grain and other features that really made it stand out as a special rifle. Sword suspected that it may have been carried by one of the USSS officers because it showed such little wear and tear (during the same sale, Sword put up for sale Caspar Trepp's Model 1851 engraved Colt revolver).

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:50 pm 
Sergeant

David,

I couldn't help but noticing your comment: I happen to have a phone chat with a Gent who also had listed a Shiloh Farmington-made Berdan replica for about $1500.00. Despite my interest in the gun, he swore nobody wanted it because it had double set triggers. So he put it back in the closet hoping to trade it someday, ...possible for a violin too.

I presume you mean a Farmingdale, New York NM1863 rifle. You don't mention if you have actually been able to handle and inspect the rifle in question. However, a NRA 'good condition' Farmingdale would easily fetch $1500; anything better and expect the price to correspondingly. When I calcuated the price of a new Big Timber 'basic issue' NM1863 with 'add on' features (set triggers, patchbox) put the price at around $2200.

The 1970's era Farmingdales tend to have a reputation, at least in the eyes of their owners, of being 'slightly better' than the Big Timbers. I inspected a Big Timber NM1863 (at Lodgewood) a few years ago and wasn't impressed with the quality of the wood, finish and no patchbox. But the mechanical integrity, fittings were still top notch.

The Big Timber NM1863 has suffered ever since the Tom Sellek movie Quigley Down Under came out. Once shooters saw Sellek dispatching ruffians with his custom made .45-110 Shiloh it created such a clamor that Shiloh was deluged for copies of the Quigley and other cartridge Sharps. About 1995-6 I contacted Big Timber about having them make me my own 'custom' NM1863, but was informed that the backlog for cartridge guns was so long that they had stopped production on percussion guns entirely.

Anyway, I'd call this guy back and see if he is still interested in selling his Shiloh. Hope Wolfgang Droege's good luck will smile on you!!

Bill Skillman
Hduson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 pm 
Private

Just a final note to Bill & David based upon their posts. I did have to order the patchbox as an option; it's not included in the base price of the firearm. And to David, if your are interested in a Shiloh, I'm guessing you need to call ASAP. In talking to the Shiloh folks, they were taking orders up through a week ago. I'm sure money talks, but I've been told that when Shiloh does a limited run of barrels, it is a limited run, be it "bull barrels" for the 74 Sharps or 63 barrels. As Bill noted, Shiloh's fame in recent years has rested on the Sharps Model 1874, plus they are gearing up for a new model Sharps that they have never produce. Thus, I suspect the 63 barrels are a side venture at best.

Just my added thoughts,

Mike
Alaska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 pm 
Private

The deed is done, just placed my order for a 63 with shiloh! 54 cal, AA finish, patch box, double trigger and custom bedded forearm stock, I'm already watch out the window for the UPS truck. I want to sincerely Thank everyone who chime up with information and advice both in this thread and the one I started about Ped version of the sharps rifle. I'll be sure to post pictures once my new girl arrives.

If anyone else is on the fence about ordering a shiloh sharps, the sales person on the phone says theres still time to place an order for the coming run and payments can be spilt into 3rds over the next three months.

David