It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedersoli Sharps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:37 pm 
Sergeant

Good evening,

A friend and mess mate has just purchased a Pedersoli Sharps. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them, and if they have any particular quirks.

Thanks,
Calum

140th PVI, Co A
https://www.facebook.com/140pvi/

1st USSS, Co H
http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Post subject: Re: Pedersoli Sharps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:46 am 
Private

i know that over here two Pedersoli sharps, have had to have new main springs fitted, but after that they work fine.

Carl Smith
Co E 1st USSS (uk)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:15 pm 
Sergeant

I had to work the breech-block to get a smooth fit, help reduce gun power residue build-up, and allow the gas-check plate to free float. I carefully chiseled the gas-check plate from the block and used emery, elbow grease, and a Dremel tool to increase the allowances. This, in conjunction with Bill Skillman's method of making blank cartridges, got my Pedersoli Sharps firing every single time. The work on the breech-block also makes it a LOT easier to clean.

Now if it were only a DST it wouldn't be so anachronistic at events....

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:39 pm 
Sergeant

Thanks for the input! It's greatly appreciated as I tend to end up functioning as the armorer (for minor issues, I know my limits!) and was wondering what I might be looking at.

Calum

140th PVI, Co A

1st USSS, Co H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 pm 
Sergeant

Calum,

Another issue you may find, especially if the Ped is new out of the box, is that the issue cone (nipple) diameter may be too narrow to permit adequate fire from reaching the base of the cartridge (Sharps rifles require the flame from the percussion cap to make two turns before reaching the powder charge compared to a single turn for a muzzle loader). The NY boys had to drill out the diameter of the first shipment of Ped Sharps to 1/32 and this appears to resolve some of the poor ignition issues. I did the same for my Ped. I then had a NSSA gunsmith remove the gas check from the breechblock and epoxy the 'not so floating' gas sleeve into place.

As Brian discovered at Malvern Hill NPS a couple years ago; the type of cartridges used in the Ped will also play a factor. The Ranger at NPS had us turn in all our cartridges earlier in the day then issued them to the boys just before the demonstration commenced. Brian wound up with a pasteboard packet of my rds and you could have heard him whooping for joy all the way to Richmond.

A number of shooters use the "O-Ring Solution" to help reduce blow-by crud buildup between the gas check and breech. You can find the procedure on the NSSA website. Essentially you file off a few millimeters of metal off the bottom of the O-shaped base of the gas check that fits around the internal cone. Then place a 3/4 inch O ring neoprene washer into the well of the breechface, coat it with lithium grease (this prevents the washer from becoming degraded by heat and flame of combusting cartridges) and replace the gas check. The washer is flexible enough to push the gas check forward to seal the breech, while allowing the block to easily move up and down during loading. Shooters report Peds seizing up after 10 shots in untreated rifles to upwards of 60-80 rds. after the O-ring conversion.

For more details on the Ped you can read my article on this forum comparing the strengths and weaknesses of the three types of reproduction Sharps used by USSS reenactors today.

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/Ever ... Sharps.pdf

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 pm 
Sergeant

Thanks Bill. I found the same flash hole issue with both of my Armi Sharps, and applied the same solution. Funny, my first Armi Sharps also has a non-moving (ie, frozen) gas sleeve, while the second one seems to be okay. I'll have to take a look at the info regarding the O ring.

I use twist tail cartridges, with very good results. I haven't gone to the flat tail variety because I use the same rounds when I'm doing standard infanty with my Enfield.

Both of my Sharps definitely prefer the hotter CCI caps. Speaking of which, has anyone obtained any of the new CCI 4 wingers? I keep trying, but nobody in my area (or Gettysburg, when I was there in May) carries them yet. If you've tried them, how do they compare to the 6 wingers?

For those who haven't read it, Bill's artilcle is highly informative. Back when he posted it for possible revisions, I posted it to my Mess (with permission, and giving credit, naturally). I'm eagerly awaiting the updated version.

Calum

140th PVI, Co A

1st USSS, Co H

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:24 pm 
Sergeant

Calum,

I've bought a sleeve of the new CCI's from a local gun shop here in Toledo. They work just fine. Never really had an issue with them at all. Was able to buy them for $6.25 for a tin of 100. If you want I could buy some for you before I come to the event at West Overton?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters;

I bought the CCI '5-wing' musket caps when they first came out; CCI has a solid reputation among shooters for quality primers so I was very pleased to hear they began manufacturing musket caps. From my own experience, ignition for both blanks and live rounds was fast and hot-no lag time to spoil shots.

Unfortunately, the early CCI caps had a tendency for the wings to split off from the base. Infantrymen firing from closed ranks reported being struck by flying debris-at least a couple in the eye. With that evidence, the USV and other umbrella organizations forbid the use of the early CCI caps. I haven't been active enough in the field to learn what the current status is for the CCI caps. I still have a good supply of the original CCI caps that I use for live firing, but different mfg. caps for reenactments and living history events. Firing from open order/skirmish formation would pose significantly less risk; but who wants to carry two cap pouches?

I would suggest that Sharpshooters interested in using CCI caps with their Sharps to first check with their Ordnance or Orderly Sgt., as well as, the rules from your local/state reenactment organization. Also, with the 150's coming up; there may be rules regarding CCI caps among the umbrella organizations your unit will fall in with.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS