It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 pm 
Corporal

By the "Big Timber" people, I assume you mean Shiloh Rifles. yes...they do still offer the NM1863, will all the trimmings. I'm looking at 2500 there abouts for one. Bitter pill to swallow when looking at the rest of the kit. I'm going to look at the North-South Skirmish site. If I can find a deal...one will be mine. If not...I'll prolly end up with a target rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 am 
Sergeant

Jboring and Fellow Sharpshooters,

Yes, the Shiloh Rifle Mfg. company was founded by Wolfgang Droege in the early 1970's. He owned a successful aerospace machine and tool company and was also an avid student of American firearms. He took an especial interest in the Sharps rifles and after purchasing and studying a number of originals decided to go into the reproduction business. The first Shiloh's were manufactured in Farmingdale, NY. I can't recall the date, but Droge later sold the business and it was relocated to Big Timber, Montana. With the release of the Tom Sellek movie, "Quigley Down Under", this triggered a huge demand for the company's center-fire cartridge arms and for a number of years the percussion line was discontinued. They restarted percussion production again about 10 years ago, but unfortunately Shiloh eliminated the patchbox from the new NM1863 rifles ( now an add-on).

J, methinks you are right in the ballpark for the cost of a new rifle configured to the Berdan Contract NM1859. Ouch!

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS