It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 pm 
Private

Hi All,
Found this on the the A/C forum but investigated further. Currently Hainsworth Wool in England has some specials going on on closeouts and seconds. I just recieved this reply from the sales manager.

At this price it is only $25.40 US$/meter or $23.16/ 20+ meters.

At this price would it be worth buying? I'm assuming shipping is additional! I'm waiting for the sample and will post pics when I get it.

Anybody have an idea how much shipping would be from England?

How about it, is there any interests in buying 20+ meters of material for dress coats or other projects? I plan on buying several yards reguardless in hopes to have enough to make a good authentic pair of pants and dress coat.

Quote:
Dear Mike

Thank you for your e-mail.
We have 69.4 metres of DO108 Doeskin Rifle Green on our Slight Seconds list. This fabric has a poor finish and a slightly blothcy appearance - I will send you a large sample to look at.
The minimum order quantity is just 0.5 metres and the price per metre is £17.00. However if you order 20+ metres I can offer this at £15.50 per metre.
I hope that this is of interest and look forward to hearing from you once you have received the sample.

Very best regards

Gill Rushton
Sales Manager - Apparel Fabrics
Direct Dial: +44 (0)113 395 5615
Facsimile: +44 (0)113 395 5686

A W HAINSWORTH & SONS LTD
Spring Valley Mills, Stanningley, Pudsey
West Yorkshire, LS28 6DW, United Kingdom
http://www.hainsworth.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm 
Sergeant

"Poor finish and blotchy appearance" are definitely keeping me away from this cloth. If a professional manufacturer of yard-goods says this and offers it at a small fraction of what it regularly costs, you better believe it.

If you're getting a sample would you be able to scan it and photograph it outside in natural light? Those are the best ways of seeing any irregularities in the dye and finish.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 pm 
Private

Brian,
Yes, I can scan and/or photogragh outside in natural light. I received the reply this morning so hopefully the sample will be within a couple of weeks. Depending on the sample and how it looks and advice recieved here upon seeing said sample, I will make the final dermination as to whether I follow thru with a purchase. I respect your opinion greatly in the area of cloth. You have far more experience with cloth than I.
I have some other products of yours and Dan's. I'm working on a WW&Co SA Sack coat kit currently.
Thanks Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
Sergeant

Michael,

I'm looking forward to seeing the samples. I have five meters of their rifle green doeskin at the workshop, as well as about 40 yards of hoarded Family Heirloom Weavers' dark green broadcloth and kersey. I'm really hoping to find out with Hainsworth still produces their rifle green Windsor Interior Collection wool since it's the best thing I've seen in color/weight/weave to the two original coats I've studied. The doeskin is nice thinner than the original fabric...however it would make killer officer's or private purchase uniforms!

My next big project will be a hand-sewn U.S.S.S. uniform coat...I know it will be fun to put together but I am not looking forward to the hours of labor I will have to put into it!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 pm 
Private

Brian, (and all)
I got home today and had a envelope from Hainsworth! Yippee! My sample is here! The girls had dance & gymnastics this evening so I worked as best I could. The pics are here on imagecave:

http://usera.imagecave.com/prodicalreb/HW_RG_doeskin/

I thought the fabric looked pretty good but I wouldn't know at wool other than what I have seen in WW&Co wool and my Daily Federal, Boylan frock. I thought the bright light here washed out the dark green color. There is one pic with some WW&Co blue wool sack coat cloth draped over the Hainsworth RG Doeskin. Due to the curvature of the curb, it appears blotchy but it isn't. Hope it helped! Based on this sample, I plan on ordering several yards for trousers, a frock and maybe a civvy shirt too.

Brian, is there an email where I can send you the original sized photos? Mine is: michael.d.phillips@us.army.mil
Enjoy Mike