It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 pm 
Private

Joseph,
I'm working on one of Dan's and Brian's SA sack coat kit's right now, Any words of wisdom to pass on? just finished sewing the collar portion and press it.

Thanks Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:12 pm 
Sergeant

they one thing I did differently this time around compared to my one last year, is how I put the pins when putting two pieces together. This helped out greatly when I sewed the sleeves on to the body. Just look at how had them in the picture in the instructions. Now it takes me a little longer than usual because I adjust the length of the jacket after step 7 of the body, because of my height in relevance of my height. I used a good Sharps Needle and plenty of episodes of House on DVD...lol This is the picture of my new one:

But really once you find your rhythm of backstitching don't stop. You'll get faster over time. Any don't be worried about messing up. Just make sure you have a seam ripper on hand to help you out and start over. Even though it took me about a week to finish in all it took me about 25 hours to completely hand sew. Due to being slow at times from eating, on the computer, and or just getting into a movie a little much. I think the time to finish one is like 22-23 hours or something like that..but I don't remember.

The one thing you might notice is the position of the buttons. It's for a closer fit around the neck for me and body. Just due to my chest size. I've seen original photos of jacket buttons like mine so I should be in good shape. The corporal chevrons are on, because I'm first corporal of my company for the 145th Bentonville Reenactment and were made by Brian.