It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Buttons Listed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm 
Corporal

Some original buttons issued to the sharpshooters have been listed on Relicman.com...and are fortunately listed as "non-dug" so no digging on battlefields was involved...

http://relicman.com/ArchiveButtonFedGovSharpshooter.htm

My understanding was that these were originally black, but these have either degraded or faded to be a sort of brownish bronze, though these have a little black left on the backs and even a bit on the front.

These have either been well cared for or the original material has held up very well, as the letters are still very good (they've held up much better than the plastic repro's I got from Blockade Runner! :roll: ).

The real question is: "What happened to the coats that these were originally attached too?" ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
Sergeant

I wonder the same thing sometimes...where did these come from and were they on an original uniform at some point?!

I purchased a lot of rubber buttons on eBay a few months back that included a number of original eagle buttons and pin-shank buttons. All of the eagle buttons were chocolate brown on the face but black on the backsides; after a close inspection I noticed the brown color was caused by some kind of external patina that had hardened on the button face. One single button had remnants of black silk thread attached, leading me to believe that it was attached to SOMETHING at some point in history!

The "I" shield rubber button on that site is beautiful. Too bad these are continually listed as "officer buttons." There is an original USSS enlisted frock in private hands that has arsenal original "I" rubber buttons on it while the two officer's frocks I've seen photographs of had the large gilt brass "I" buttons or staff officer buttons!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:09 am 
Sergeant

who makes some good reproduction sharpshooters button? I was impressed by what Blockade Runner offered http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg29.htm but is there anyone else that makes them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:52 pm 
Sergeant

Did any of the Berdan's put the Hard Rubber Buttons on the Sack Coat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:46 pm 
Sergeant

Yes, judging from original photographs it seems that some Sharpshooters did in fact use hard rubber buttons on their sack coats. Three images that come to mind are Sgt. Alexander DuPont (Co. D 1st), Sgt. Clark Higgins (Co. F 1st), and an unpublished image of a Co. F 1st corporal in the Richard Carlile collection.

DuPont's photograph shows him wearing a sack coat with dark chevrons and a metal Third Corps badge on his chest; close-ups of the buttons show that they are neither the eagle or pin-shank variety but a ball-and-saucer type of rubber button. Higgins and the unpublished corporal (his name escapes me at the moment) appear to both have rubber eagle buttons on their sack coats.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters