It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:41 pm 
Private

2nd Lt. Frederick Peet Jr. - Wounded and taken POW at Glendale, transferred to USMC

Sgt. Barnard Gardner - Image taken at Falmouth - Wounded at Gettyburg, went to Riker's Island to Recruit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 pm 
Sergeant

Here is an early war image of Sgt. John T. Schermerhorn, Co. H 1st. Note the fatigue uniform, dark grey seamless felt Whipple cap, target rifle, and leggings. Schermerhorn's late-war forage cap, chevrons, and engraved NCO sword are in the Milwaukee Public Museum.

Major George Hastings, former captain of Company H (courtesy Rick Carlile collection).

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:10 pm 
Sergeant

Brian,

Great images and biographies. Question about the Sgt. John T. Schermerhorn image. Can you determine what is hanging off of his waist belt. While the general outline suggests a small hatchet, could it be a bullet starter for his target rifle? Can definitely see that not all USSS target rifles had telescope sights. This one has a globe front sight on the barrel and a elevating pan/globe sight at the wrist of the stock.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS

So when are you going to stop posting all these great images on the forum and settle down and write that book!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:45 pm 
Sergeant

Bill,

The discussion about what is hanging from Schermerhorn's belt was dropped a few years ago...someone said a hatchet, someone said a bayonet scabbard, but I really don't think anyone came up with an answer.

Not sure about a book despite the support from Don. I've made peace with wanting to keep it to magazines or journals.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
Sergeant

Brian,

I'd be more inclined to suggest a hatchet. No way a bayonet scabbard, if this is very early War, the 1st USSS is still waiting for Berdan to decide if he is going to hoodwink them with 'improved' Springfields; and the Sharps revolt is just starting to build up steam in both regiments. Most bullet starters I'm familiar with feature a rounded knob; but I can't rule out a 'T' handle starter; and this would be in keeping with his target rifle. Granted, the length of the thing would be a pain when running in the fields, but also be readily available when loading. Also can't recall any two headed hatchets of that size before; either native or European origins. It could be something French? Naaahhh.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:14 pm 
Private

Brian, Great pictures, thanks!