It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters;

Brian White called my attention to a collection that has just come up for sale on Ebay for Josiah B. Chaney. Chaney enlisted in the Second Company of Minnesota Sharpshooters, originally designated for the 2nd USSS. However, because of a harsh winter and the ice melting late that delayed the steamboats, the Company didn't reach Washington DC until May. They were promptly outfitted in blouses and armed with Sharps rifles. They were then sent, by order of H. Berdan, to the Peninula where they were designated as Co. 'L'; the 11th company of the 1st Regt. They were instructed in skirmish drll by Co. G's Captain Edward Drew (KIA-Glendale). However, Co. 'L' did not remain with the 1st USSS; being ordered to the 1st Minnesota Infantry as the battle of Fair Oaks was sputtering to a close. They remained with the 1st MN for the rest of their term of service designated as the regimental sharpshooter/skirmisher company. FYI, they kept their NM1859 Sharps and used them with 'good execution' at Gettysburg and other engagements.

Cheney became ill from his service on the Peninsula and hospitalized in Washington. He was discharged in October, 1862. He returned to St. Paul and eventually became that city's chief librarian. He was also active in GAR activities.

When I visited the State Archives, I was able to read and photocopy Cheney's war time correspondence. He was the author of the Second Company MN Sharpshooters for Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Suad USSS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOSIAH-B-CHANEY ... 4844e8e317