It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 pm 
Sergeant

Friends,

It's been a long time since I posted anything from my collection, but I think a recent addition merits a share. Last year I was contacted by an estate salesperson who had in her possession a large collection related to Capt. Harvard P. Smith of Company G 2nd USSS, and, to a lesser extent, his brother Sgt. Norton Smith of the same company. Among the items were a Sharps rifle w/bayonet, officer's sword with belt, two uniform coats, vest, kepi, hat, wartime personal items, post-war items owned by Capt. Smith, hundreds of wartime letters with envelopes, post-Gettysburg company Muster Roll, other assorted ephemera, and two cdv albums. Unfortunately the "big" items such as the rifle, sword, and uniforms were withheld (whereabouts currently unknown), while the rest of the group was split up to several buyers. They all reached out to me over the past six months and I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to piece at least some of the collection back together. Find below the items from the collection that I now have.

The initial group of items. Note the four cdv's at lower right. I had first bought one of Smith's cdv albums that the prior owner removed these images from.

A circa-1864 "Soldier's Memorial" owned by Capt. Smith. These were commonly offered to members of different organizations who chose to re-enlist in late 1863/early 1864, and were "subscribed to" by each soldier who wanted one. Fifteen enlisted men from Co. G 2nd USSS re-enlisted, plus the two officers, making this example likely one of 17 produced.

An 1867 "Certificate of Service" issued to Capt. Smith by the state of New Hampshire. A nice companion piece to an 1864 letter describing Smith's service in detail, also part of the collection.

A first-edition print of the regimental history by C.A. Stevens, inscribed in the front by Capt. Smith. Inside are Smith's own notes, additions, and clarifications not included in the original publication. In the back I found the original "advertisement" for the book printed by C.A. Stevens and mailed to the members of the Survivor's Association. The edition cost $3.50.

Detail of the muster roll showing the results of an inspection by Col. Charles Collis of the 114th PA Infantry (Collis' Zouaves). Clothing was poor, rifles were in good condition but the company had no bayonets!

Detail of a pencil sketch Smith made in 1862, somewhere adjacent to where the 2nd USSS was in a train accident with another carrying the 14th Brooklyn. The accident resulted in one death, upwards of 60 injuries, and the cancellation of Pope's involvement in the Valley campaign.

Some personal mess items owned by either Capt. Smith or his brother Sgt. Norris Smith. The tin boiler is my favorite.

The officer's cdv album I have was full and contains the following images. If you'd like me to post any of these just ask.

- Col. Henry A.V. Post
- Adjt. Lewis Parmelee
- 1st Sgt. Abner Colby (Co. G)
- Asst. Surgeon Oscar Palmer (formerly Co. C 1st)
- Surgeon William Reynolds (formerly Co. F)
- Capt. Harvard Smith (Co. G)
- Major Edward Rowell (formerly Co. F)
- Cleora Stoughton, wife of Lt. Col. Homer Stoughton
- Capt. Jacob McClure (Co. D)
- Hannah McClure, wife of Capt. Jacob McClure
- Capt. Jacob McClure (alternate view)
- Capt. Abraham Wright (Co. A)
- Lt. Charles Foote (Co. B)
- Capt. Smith (duplicate)
- Capt. Smith (alternate view)
- Lt. Albert Fisher (Co. G)
- Capt. Samuel Murry (Co. F)