It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters

I’ve updated the original 2015 post for J.F. Whipple's patent for the 'Military Cap' that was filed with the U.S. Patent office in April 1861. The link to the illustration of the hat provided with the patent application is below.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
J. F. WHIPPLE, OF NE\V YORK, N. Y., ASSIGNOR TO SEAMLESS CLOTHING MANUFACTURING CO., OF NEV YORK, N. Y.
MILITARY CAP.

Specification of Letters Patent No. 32,849, dated July 16, 1861.

To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, J. F. VHIPPLE, of the city, county, and State of New York, have invented a new and Improved Military Cap; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, making part of this specification, in which- Figure 1 is a side View of the cap. Fig. 2 is a central section of the same from back to front. Fig. 3 is a top view of the same.

Similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in the several figures.

This invention consists of a cap having its crown and a cape for the protection of the back of the head and neck made of telt or other soft material, and having a. peak of leather or other moderately stiff material, to the sides of which the cape is united and by which the cape is kept in proper shape.

A is the crown made of felt of any of the forms-common to soft felt hats, or of any other desirable form.

B is the cape shown in the section Fig. 2 to be in the same piece with the crown.

C is the peak made of the form most commonly adopted for military caps, best shown in Fig. and attached to the front of the crown in the usual manner. The cape is so formed that it stands out from the crown with an inclination of about 45 degrees in a downward direction.

It's depth is greatest at the extreme rear, say from three and a half to four inches, and gradually diminishes toward the sides, where a depth of about two and a half inches will be sufficient. It is united with the crown A all around the back and as far forward as where the peak C terminates on each side; and from these points it projects forward as shown at a a, in such taper form that it may extend along and lit the sides of the peak to which it is united permanently by sewing, and by whose stiffness it is kept in shape. 'a' is the sweat cloth and 'c' the chin-strap, both applied in the usual manner. 'l' is a band passing around the back at the junction of the crown and cape, to give a finished appearance to the cap.

This cap, if made of light color, affords the same protection to the soldier as an ordinary cap with the cover known as the Havelock, while it is much more convenient than a cap with a separate cover.

What I claim as my invention and desire to secure by Letters Patent is- The military cap having its crown and a cape composed of felt or other soft material, and having the said cape united with the sides of a peak of leather or other moderately stiff material, substantially as herein described.

J. F. WHIPPLE.
Witnesses:
JAMES

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... page-1.png