It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Check it out, very nice image...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390095416450&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:49 pm 
Sergeant

I almost had that one last night but $405 is a little too rich for me, especially for a CDV that isn't even identified directly. This image went up for sale about three weeks ago for the very first time and sold cheap; I saw it at that time and completely dropped the research ball. The soldier in the image is Gilbert Prindle, Company H 2nd U.S.S.S..

I am familiar with an alternate image of Prindle which was published in Marcot's book but it appeared to be an older man with slightly more pronounced features than the soldier in the "Whipple cap" CDV. Gilbert Prindle was listed in the family geneaology and so was the officer named on the album inscription but they were not brothers and appear to have been only distantly related. The named officer had no brothers in the service. The inscription appears to have been written as a "best guess" as to the relation of the soldier with the Whipple cap. I ended up a private collector who owns the published and positively identified (signed) CDV of Prindle, and was told that it was him. The published image shows Prindle in a completely different uniform, headgear, and with what looks like some weight gain and a different hair cut.

About the same time this one came up for sale I was able to purchase a published and identified CDV of Andrew Ingalls, Company G 2nd U.S.S.S. I had seen his image published years ago but cannot remember the name of the book. Peter Chapman also sent me scans of a USSS collection out of New Hampshire which included a just-after-the-war image of Ingalls wearing civilian clothes. In the CDV I recently purchased he is standing wearing a fatigue blouse, dark trousers, and holding a new looking Army hat ("Hardee" hat) with cord.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
I looked at this photo and at the photo of Sgt Prindle in Marcot (The 1st Book) on pg 79 and I am not convinced they are the same person. The facial features, especially the mouth don't even look close, though the nose could be.

Cpl Charles McElhose Jr.
Co C 2nd USSS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 pm 
Sergeant

Attached is an image of Gilbert Prindle that I recently won on eBay. This is how he looked in 1866 while serving in the U.S. Navy. I am still trying to determine which ship he was on but it seems that he was part of the South Atlantic fleet.

I think it may be the same man with a scant five years between when the photographs were taken. If I am wrong then these guys have a very strong family appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 pm 
Sergeant

There's a new development regarding the image of the soldier holding the Whipple cap! I had forgotten that I posted about it here on the forum and neglected to share the soldier's read identity earlier. Several months after the initial photo was sold on eBay, and also after I had purchased the signed 1866 image of Gilbert Prindle, I stumbled upon a large albumen portrait of a similar looking man (attached). This is signed "John Prindle" on the back which turns out to be a relative of sharpshooter Gilbert Prindle. John enlisted in Co. C of the 7th Vermont Infantry in late 1861 and was subsequently promoted to QM Sergeant, 1st Lt., and Captain; he re-enlisted in early 1864 and served with the regiment until being mustered out at Brownsville, Texas in March 1866.

The image of the soldier holding the Whipple cap purported to be the sharpshooter Gilbert Prindle is in fact an early war portrait of his relative John, an infantryman. While the Whipple caps were issued to the USSS early in the war they were also issued to many New England units from Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire.

Image Brian White Collection.