It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
Private

Hey all. Just getting into the hobby. Question on the Forage cap. When the Sharpshooters where issued Blues before Gettysburg would they have been reissused forage caps of just kept their Green ones?

I have heard mention they got coats and pants but hear no mention of caps.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Green?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
Sergeant

Radioman and Fellow Sharpshooters.

The March 1863 inspection and issuances of uniforms and other quartermaster items to the USSS regiments included green caps. However, there are photos of the men also wearing Hardee hats (Army Regulation Hat) that they have modified. A photo of Cassius Peck (MOH for actions at Blackford Ford) during this period shows him sporting a Hardee hat that he has 'telescoped' (the crown is thoroughly wetted and the material slowly folded down until the desired height is achieved) with a 3rd Divsion, 3rd Corps badge on the side., in addition to his uniform coat and green trousers.

My article posted on this forum documenting the quartermaster requisitions for the 1st USSS following the Gburg Campaign show that 19 caps were requested at that time. I believe that by September 1863, Gen. David Birney issued orders for the men of his division to 'spruce up' and ordered that all hats be replaced by caps; new (or re-issued) uniform coats drawn, etc. etc.

By the time of the Petersburg seige from June-December 1864; with the loss of all the staff officers and the majority of field officers on assignment to other parts of the brigade/division/corps level, the 1st USSS men were apparently a pretty motley looking group. The CSA referred to them as the "men with the big hats and the little rifles".

Depending upon the regiment, time of service, camp/field impression you wish to choose, both the cap or hat can be portrayed on the field. If you are contemplating purchasing a cap, avoid the McDowell brim cap--this is a severely cut 1/4 moon shaped brim, which I have only seen photographs of officers wearing. The typical enlisted man wore a Type 1 or Type II cap; the former has more of a 1/2 moon shaped visor, while the later has a longer, more squarish brim. The ones worn by the Randolph Mess were Type 1 caps made from specially dyed Family Heirloom Weavers wool by Don Smith. You can see the brim of my cap by going back to the Co. C. main page and scrolling down to the bottom photo of the Mess taken at Gburg last year.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess
Hudson Squad (150)