It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need BIG shoes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 pm 
Private

I have big old gunboat size 16 feet. Were should I look for brogans? Are brogans the only suitable footware for a sharpshooter's uniform?

Only member of Co. A?

Post subject: Re: need BIG shoes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am 
Sergeant

Snuffy,

These guys are hands-down some of the best makers of footwear in the hobby today; you cannot go wrong with any of them.

http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/ ... StoreFront

http://www.civilwarboots.com/war_boots.asp

I would suggest a standard Federal bootee (brogan) with either pegged or sewn soles. Either will do and be durable and authentic. Smooth or rough out leather is always a concern for me, but I find that smooth-out is best...rough-out works fine too but you will have to blackball the shoes more often. Get heel plates, hobnails are optional at Missouri Boot & Shoe but I would highly suggest getting them. You will want to avoid civilian styles of footwear and especially boots; Federal issue bootees are the best thing to march in, dry out fast, and are durable, just what they were designed to be. Boots are hot, annoying, expensive, and not often seen on the feet of campaigning soldiers in the field.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm 
Sergeant

I would recommend Missouri Boot & Shoe. as I got a pair of used English Import Blucher Shoes made by them and they are just fantastic! And they make the shoe to form to your feet. I'm just lucky that my feet were about the same at the previous owner and are down right comfortable. But the downside is that the turn around could be a couple of weeks to months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm 
Private

Are the website that where listed still open? I need to get a size 13-14 depends on the cut. I saw that Falls creek does customs from templates. Are they any good?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:51 am 
Sergeant

Comrade Riddell;

Welcome to the Sharpshooter Forum.

Since you are just getting into the hobby I would strongly suggest that you read the other posts on this forum to guide you in assembling an impression.

The readers and members of this forum cover a wide range of experience and interest in the USSS. A few of us are inhabitants of the 'lunatic fringe' of the hobby; meaning we base our representation on original 'primary sources' (Quartermaster, Ordnance, officers/enlisted men records, letters and memoranda). This can pose a problem since few manufacturers of modern uniforms and equipment match the original specifications, materials, construction techniques, etc. When we don't have a source (like Regulation USSS uniform broadcloth/color source) we prefer not to buy an 'off the shelf' one until we can obtain the correct (within 95%) material, etc. This is a very personal decision; I don't expect other sharpshooters to follow my own peculiar path. However, I enjoy sharing my research with others so they can decide what they want to do.

Brian is a first rate USSS researcher. The shoe manufacturers he listed are craftspeople who follow the 'closest to the original' US Quartermaster specifications; My Missour Boot and Shoe brogans (pegged soles) have lasted 12 years --have gone through 2 layers of leather at the mid-sole and worn down the heels on the outside corners--but they still have plenty of marching left in them. "Authentic" products tend to be slightly more expensive than the 'sutler' brand--but they are worth it in the long run.

Be cautious about 'sutlers' that are commonly found at regional and national events--you typically find their products do not meet or fall well short in terms of quality, wearability and 'original' specifications. Being a sharpshooter; of all your purchases, shoes and socks will be the most critical. Choose wisely.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Bill,

Marcus Ridell is in great shape for uniform and Gear, His Father Marc Ridell (RIP), was in our unit for many years and has a great impression. Marcus is caring on in his father's footsteps with Company "C"

He is in "Good Hands".......lol

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com