It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking For A Mess Kit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am 
Private

Does any one have a mess kit they would like to sell?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am 
Sergeant

Marcus,

When I attended the BGA event with Brian White, he stopped by Axel Ulrich's tinsmith tent to pick up a Berdan Messkit that Axell made for him. It has been some time since I used my old Villager Tinsmith (Bill Hoover) version, so I was interested in what Axell had created. One difference is the number of rivets used on the 'soup boiler' tin (the largest tin); Axell used a single rivet but reported he had found both one and two rivets used on originals. The overall size seemed slightly larger--but since I didn't have my Hoover version I could only eye-stimate the differences.

Brian was very excited to try out his new 'toy' and used it that night to boil up some water (for coffee, rifle cleaning, etc). Unfortunately, he didn't fill the boiler full enough to go above where the exterior bails attach. When I attempted to remove the heated water one of the bails popped loose with the little cap attachment. Like my Hoover mess tin, the solder holding the bail/attachment had melted. When I showed the 'dangling participle' to Brian I could see his heart sink. I calmly explained I had to re-solder my own boiler on three occassions when the same thing happened--a simple fix, but one more reason why I believe so few Berdan messkits survived.

I know we mentioned Axell having one more Berdan messkit for sale when we were in camp that weekend-but don't recall if you or one of the other boys bought it. I know Axell 'turned the air blue' with all of the challenges of making those mess kits so I don't think he'll be making any more in the near future.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:03 pm 
Corporal

I actually picket up the last of those mess kits from Axel. He mentioned something about rather being kicked repeatedly in the face than making those mess kits again. :) I appreciate Brian being so willing to assist us in educating ourselves in the pitfalls of period tinwork ;)