It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painted Blankets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:29 pm 
Sergeant

After reading the Article by Bill, "What did they Wear?", again. And it got me thinking about the painted blankets being requisitioned. It makes sense if they were ready to be shipped instead of the rubber ones. My questions are who were the main makers of the painted blankets in the North, were they the same sizes and grommet hole placings as that of the rubber ones, and who makes a good union one. The only person that comes to mind is Claude Sinclair when he makes them. I've made my own painted blanket based of the CS specs and used cotton drill without litharge, so I could always that route.

Post subject: Re: Painted Blankets
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:01 pm 
Sergeant

Joseph,

I haven't seen Claude's painted blankets up close but I've heard some good reviews. To my knowledge, no one else is currently producing accurate painted blankets. Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot probably could have done them but he recently retired the business; he also used hand-mixed period paint recipes and varnish.

As for the size of the Federal issue painted blankets, the two that I have notes on are roughly the same size as the rubber variety. One is narrower by about a foot though, and slightly longer. The grommets were the small brass variety and spaced similarly to the ones on rubber blankets. All edges of the painted blankets were turned under, stitched in place, and grommets added to it AFTER the fabric had been painted. They were typically very thin and light-weight and made from either a thin, tightly woven cotton sheeting or a light-weight, pre-washed and sized cotton drill.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters