It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:16 pm 
Sergeant

Yet another great post-war account from a Sharpshooter! This one is apparently a speech given by veteran Dyer Pettijohn, who served in Company A 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters and was captured while skirmishing in front of his regiment at Gettysburg on July 2nd. Judging from other period accounts of the capture of several other Sharpshooters, it's possibly that Pettijohn was one of the men in the advance scouting party that also included Charles Fairbanks of Company E.

The account is somewhat long but very entertaining...Pettijohn had an almost "Wyman White" like attitude and sense of humor despite his treatment at the hands of the Confederates.

http://www.pettijohn.net/chapter3.html#dyer

Dyer Burgess Pettijohn was 23 years old when he enlisted in Company A, 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters in October 1861. He had a wildly varying life if his memoir is any indication. During his service he rose from the rank of private to corporal and sergeant, and, according to the record, 2nd Lieutenant although he was never mustered. Somewhere on my crummy broken Apple laptop is a huge photo of Pettijohn in uniform but I'll have to post it once I recover the files!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters