It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 pm 
Sergeant

I found this neat little compilation of letters and documents today while searcing online for "new" Sharpshooter stuff. On the left-hand side of the page below you will find various media available for you to view the grouping.

http://www.archive.org/details/civilwarlettersd00peet

Frederick Peet enlisted in the 7th New York State Militia on April 17th 1861, and was mustered into Company H of the same on April 26th, 1861. He was mustered out on June 3rd, 1861. After his stay in the 7th N.Y.S.M., and during a period of trying to get a commission in the U.S. Marines, Peet was commissioned into Company H, 1st U.S. Sharpshooters on October 24th, 1861 as a second lieutenant. He was shot through the lungs on June 30th, 1862, at Nelson's Farm, Virginia, and captured on the same day along with two other men from his company who had bore him to a field hospital. Despite accounts from surviving members of his company as well as Colonel Berdan (who, according to the grouping above, claimed that he had "died in terrible agony"), Peet recovered after being parolled by the Confederates. He later joined the U.S. Marines.

Plenty of good stuff in there including verification of many previously published tidbits about Yorktown (black CS soldiers, mines buried by rebels, etc.). The most compelling, in my opinion, is mention of company officers taking turns commanding the regiment during drill, Peet's uniform/clothing in Camp of Instruction and in the field, his use of target and Sharps rifles, and his practicing to play the bugle "should anything happen to the buglers!"

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:35 am 
Private

Brian,
I look forward to reading more of these letters. In what I have read so far, several very interesting items have come to light. In the old forum we had a discussion about the idea that a 3rd Regiment of USSS was being formed with Cuvier Grover as the commanding officer. Peet's letter of Dec. 22 1861 substantiates this with his statement "Col. Grover U.S.A. takes his position tomorrow." Also on March 8, 1862 he writes "200 of the 3rd Regiment arrived yesterday." I also had not heard the story of the barge with 100 sharpshooters aboard being towed by a tug from Washington to Point Comfort and breaking loose and disappearing. It must have been only a temporary disappearance. Any idea which companies were aboard?
Thank you for bringing this to the forum. I can't wait to continue reading.