It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 pm 

I posted this letter on the old forum and I figured it was worth putting it up again. The original is owned by a reenacting friend of mine here in Florida. He picked up the original in an antique shop down in Tampa a few years back. I kept the format, punctuation, and spelling as was written and in some cases I was not able to make out exactly what was written. (words in parenthesis).

Washington D.C.
Dec. 17th 1861

Dear Cousins
Ansyl & Ellen

I recieved your letter Sunday it found me well but have not had time to answer it till now for Monday I was on guard for 24 hours & Tuesday was down running around in the city. I went and heard Lane make a speech it was what I call a loud one. I do not know what Lane it was but one thing certain it was not a cow lane.

I wish that you could be here to see the sights especily the pattent office and the Smithsonian Institute. Thare you will see every thing that ever was seen and not look at half of the different things at that. for it will take one three days to look through the patent Office (facilities ?) (word unreadable) a curiosity to see some some of the old things that are there they look like old Terry's wooden plow. there is Washingtons sword and uniform that he used in the old Revolution but thare is quite a difference from those used at the present time. but this is no news to you and I dont think of any today there is nothin going on here but Sogering and thare is plenty of that you better believe. there is some 130,000 Soldiers around here within five square miles.

Ans perhaps you would like to here somethin of this supperior orgnisetalion (organisation?) wall I will tell you it is a good humbug and that is all that is nessary to make a show you have but Berdan's Sharpshooters is all the go around here every man woman and child will know one of the regiment any where they see us.

we have not got our guns yet and probably shant till the well is dry to build them off but we are going to have Sharps rifle if the Lord is willing and Uncle Sam don't fail up and he won't not till after Christmas I guess certain.

Thare is no news to write so I wont write any

I went over the river last week and see the Vt. Brigade but did not know that Geo. Lee was thare but will find him next time I go over they are 14 miles from here. The talk is that thare is going to be some fun soon for the army is advancing all round and the rebbles will wake up some of those fine mornings and find themselves badly whiped I am afraid but you dont know what damed works thare is here. Picketts will be all drove in one day and then they will send out a Reg. and they will go some 10 or 12 miles and not see a Rebile or Rebbel and in two hours they will be a shooting at the pickets again. and so it goes they seem to know everthing that is going on around here and so if they have to fight they are sure to have five to one as usual but I guess they have got through with that ploy for they are getting ready to hit him on all sides and they cant have more men in all places than we I guess. Give my best wishes to all my enquireing FRIENDS.
Yours G.W.Manchester
Berdans 1st Reg. of U.S. Sharpshooters
Co. F. Capt. Weston
Write soon Your Cousin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:22 pm 
Corporal

Quote:
we have not got our guns yet and probably shant till the well is dry to build them off but we are going to have Sharps rifle if the Lord is willing and Uncle Sam don't fail up and he won't not till after Christmas I guess certain.

Poor fellow...who would have guessed that he'd have to wait until after not only that Christmas but even Easter to come to get his hands on a Sharps! Then again, this was a government operation... ;) ...