It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters

I recieved my January 2011 edition of Civil War News and was pleasantly surprised to find an article written by my old friend, Randon (Randy, aka Adjt. Parmalee) Bartley. The article describes the successful efforts by Randy, Dave Rider and members of Co. 'C' to locate and identify those buildings in Falmouth, Virginia that survive to the present day. One of the main homes discussed was the O'Bannon home, that serves as the backdrop in the photograph of the USSS guard detail sometime during April-June 1862. The photo can be found on this website, it is distinctive in that it is the only one of taken of the USSS on active service (compared to CDV's). Company 'C' and the community of Falmouth have created a plaque recalling the USSS and other Federal troops during the occupation of this town.

For those not familiar with the importance of Falmouth, I highly recommend that you read the Diary of Wyman S. White; who was detailed to serve as a guard for 6 weeks. White eventually complained about the 2 hours on-4 hours off duty that entire time until he became so fatigued he asked to be relieved of the duty. This was initially granted, but when his relief complained they couldn't do it because of illness, White was ordered to return to his post. White refused and was briefly incarcerated in a tobacco warehouse with Confederate deserters and other prisoners. He finally secured his release after theatening his captain to bring his complaint to the general commanding the brigade. White and other SS made friends with some of the populace, also described in the book.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS