It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:37 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters

I have the sad notice that Blue and Gray Magazine is going to cease publication. Many years ago they published an article about the 2nd day actions at Little Round Top and for the first time described the pivotal (my opinion) actions of the 2nd USSS that caused Col. Wm. Oates to detach the 15th Alabama (accompanied by Col. Bulger's 47th Alabama infantry) to pivot away from their point of attack on Plum Run to LRT to pursue 12-15 Michigan sharpshooters under the command of Adj. Norton up the face and flanks of Big Round Top. The article also described how this same (or another platoon) of 2nd USSS joined Co. B of the 20th ME that volleyed into the rear of the 15th AL at the same time Col. Joshua Chamberlin ordered the rest of the regiment to conduct its historic bayonet charge that 'won the battle' of securing LRT for the Union. However, Col. Oates always maintained that it was the actions of Major Stoughton's sharpshooters that 'deserved a monument' for splitting the CSA attack force and specifically delayed his demi-brigade from overwhelming Little Round Top and securing victory for the Confederacy.

Sadly, it has been nearly 20 years when the article was first published so I can't recall off hand the name of the licensed battlefield guide who wrote it. I also owe a debt of gratitude for my old 'Save Michigan's Battle flags' comrade, John Gibney, who photocopied and sent me a copy of the article that inspired my many tromps over the battleground from Warfield ridge to the Co. B ME/2nd USSS positions (before the timber clearing and afterwards) to see what the original sharpshooters (and AL soldiers) saw.

https://blueandgraymagazine.com/2017/05 ... ation/amp/

Bill Skillman
Bugler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

While going thru my collection of paper files I discovered the article I mentioned previously that was published in the Blue and Gray Magazine. The author was Licensed Gettysburg Battlefield Guide, Gary Kross, who had three articles entitled Gettysburg Vignettes. The February 1996 Gettysburg Vignettes Kross described in detail Hood's approach to LRT on July 2nd. This was the first article that I read where Col. Oates (15th AL) paid tribute to Maj. Stoughton about the decisive role played by the 2nd USSS in preventing Oates from capturing LRT and winning the battle. I don't know if you can find copies of the original B&G magazines featuring Kross' articles; but this one is still a 'keeper' among my favorite USSS articles.

Bill Skillman
Bugler
USSS