It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

I discovered an excellent article written by Gettysburg battlefield licensed guide and early member of Co. C., Tim Orr Jr. Tim's 28 page article, Combat on the skirmish line at Gettysburg on July 3rd, describes the fierce and deadly sharpshooting duels leading up to the Pickett/Pedigrew/Trimble assault that afternoon. The actions of the USSS and state Sharpshooter companies are described, but also the experiences of men selected from infantry regiments who were drawn to this service and performed admirably. I thoroughly enjoyed the depth and quality of Tim's work and highly recommend it for reading and re-reading. It's that good.•

Here is the link: http:/npshistory.com/series/symposia/gettysburg_seminars/12/essay3.pdf

Bill Skillman
Michigan Companies
Berdan Sharpshooters Survivors Association

Tim's name appears in one of my journals as a 'comrade in battle' when I attended one of the National Events out east many years ago.

*Shows how time flies. Dr. Tim Orr is now an associate professor at Old Dominion University where he teaches 19th Century and Civil War history. He is the author of numerous articles and books. Congratulations Dr. Tim.