Post subject: Shameless plug:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 am 
Private

My book on Company H, 1st USSS was recently published;

The print and digital copies (for kindle) can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... %20schnupp

digital copies for the nook can be found here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-lon ... is+schnupp

Guys if this needs to be moved to the buy sell area please by all means.

Post subject: Re: Shameless plug:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 am 
Private

I just ordered a copy and look forward to reading it!

Good luck with your book.

Best Regards,

Chip Knappenberger
CO.C. 2nd. U.S.S.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 pm 
Private

Thanks Chip!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:41 am 
Private

I finished your book Chris. Thank you for an important addition to U.S.S.S. history. The way you humanized Company H is outstanding!

Great work!
Chip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 pm 
Private

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 am 
Sergeant

Good Morning, Chris.

I have spent the last 3 years researching a new article about the buglers who served in the 1st and 2nd USSS. One of the most vexing problems I've had is identifying men who served in this capacity among the 18 companies. Like most things 'Sharpshooter' some men are identified in the muster rolls as musicians but the majority are not. Unless their additional duty is listed in the 'Comments' section of the Descriptive Roll or similar document, they otherwise remain anonymous among the ranks of the privates.

For other readers not familiar with the rolls-each form (handwritten by the captain or his clerk; or later in the war, on a War Dept. printed form), each rank is listed (Captain, 1st Lt. 2nd Lt. 4 Sergeants, 8 Corporals, 2 Musicians/Buglers, and 83 privates. Those men assigned to 'extra duty' positions (like teamsters, pioneers, cooks, etc) were sometimes listed as such in the "comments" section on the far right of the muster rolls.

From your research, have you been able to identify any of the men from the Cherry Valley company of Sharpshooters (H-1st) identified as buglers. I currently have not found any man detailed or served in this capacity. Perhaps you've had better luck?

Bill Skillman
Bugler
USSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 pm 
Private

Ok sorry this took so long, I forgot my password on here.

Here's what I have been able to find so far:

1) 2nd Lt. Peet mentioned he had to get trained as a bugler in case any of the buglers were shot he'd be the one that would take over -- this was at weehawken. So we know they existed in co H in 1861/2.
2) In my visit to the archives, the records for co H were at best poor. Now there was a rumor that many of the records were burned at some point during the 7 days. It could have happened once they thought the company was going to be over-run (they were the last union forces left at oak grove after the rest of the union army pulled out) or at some point during the battle at glendale when co H was actually over-run. The company was fully independent of 1st USSS at that point. All that was left in the archives was a few scrawled documents in pencil that were really unreadable. There was practically nothing in company records until Hastings' promotion to major. The descriptive book including original Muster rolls were largely blank with the exception of physical description and recruiting officer.
3) Joseph Matthews was not listed as a musician or bugler for Co H. but was once he was enlisted into the 119th. so he's a possibility

The quest never ends, and I am always digging for new info. Sorry this could not be more helpful. I'll take a look through any copies I have to see if I can dig something up. my lottery goals are to request the military records for everyone in co H, though what I have so far is pretty poor as well