It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sharpshooter book
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
Private

I just check my most recent Butternut & Blue Catalog and lo and behold I found this.

Upcoming releases:

Item #101 The 2nd United States Sharpshooters in the CW by Gerald Earley. Due out in May 2009. Did anyone know of this upcoming book? I searched other book outlets and found:

http://www.amazon.com/Second-United-Sta ... 349&sr=8-1

That background picture sure looks familiar. Has anyone heard of this author?

Butternut & Blue is the same price as Amazon and Mr. McClean is a friend and associate member of company C

Stay tuned.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

This ought to be good, the Falmouth image is flipped the wrong way, can't wait to see what else he has too say.

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 pm 
Sergeant

Berdan on a 2nd Regiment history?! What happened to Col. Henry A.V. Post?!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:15 am 
Private

According to various sources on the web, Gerald L. Earley, the author, is a Viet Nam veteran and a descendent of Civil War soldiers. He wrote a book on the 116th Ohio Infantry and their service in the Civil War which was published in 2004.
Oh and I think he is from Kansas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59 pm 
Private

I thought I'd bump this thread as I saw an ad for the book in the Dec. 2009 edition of North & South as well as an article written about the 2nd USSS at Antietam by the same author.

So I'm wondering if anybody had purchased this book and what their thoughts are on it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 am 
Sergeant

TJ and Fellow Sharpshooters,

I went to the Amazon Books section to see if there had been any reviews posted about Mr. Earley's Sharpshooter book. At a going price of $55-59, that is a bit too steep a price for me at this juncture, and I haven't checked to see if any of his books have made it into the inter-library loan program (which is how I first read Stevens, Aschman and Ripley's books until I could afford to buy them). This is what I've found on Amazon.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS

Product Description: The Second U.S. Sharpshooters was a hodgepodge regiment, composed of companies raised in several New England states. The regiment was trained for a specific mission and armed with specially ordered breech-loading target rifles. This book covers the origin, recruitment, training, and battle record of the regiment and features 32 photographs, four battlefield maps, and a regimental roster.

Personally, I kinda bristle with the 'hodgepodge regiment' throwaway comment made by the writer of the product description. These men were among the best marksmen in the United States at the time; highly trained and typically on the front line more often than not (wonder what the author has to say about the Rangers, SEALS and other SpecOps units today?). The author also ignores the contributions +200 Michigan and Minnesota sharpshooters who also contributed to the 2nd USSS legacy--just my opinion-WES

About the Author: Gerald L. Earley is a lifelong student of the Civil War and has personally visited all the major battlefields of the Second U.S. Sharpshooters. He is a graduate of Wichita State University and a veteran of the Vietnam War.

Average Customer Review
5.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice review of the 2nd SS, November 21, 2009
By Anthony Swierzbinski -

Earley does a nice job covering the history of the 2nd US Sharpshooters, mixing together primary sources and letters with his own conjectures. The result is a highly informative and entertaining history of one of the Civil War's most famous units. A must-read for any sharpshooter enthusiast, as well as any Civil War buff

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpshooter hits the mark, June 26, 2009
By M. HEISLER -

I was very impressed with the detailed information on Civil War sharpshooters. The weaponry that was used as well as the training the sharpshooters went through, set a standard for our future sharpshooters and protectors of our nation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm 
Sergeant

I ordered this book tonight and will probably tear through it in a weekend. I'll post a review once I'm done.

I'm intrigued to learn if additional diary and memoir excerpts, or letters, may be included that have never before been published. Ditto on the photos.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters