It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pvt. George W. Harkins
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 pm 
Private

George W. Harkins was a member of Co. D, 1st U.S.S.S.. He was born at Maryland, Otsego, New York, in 1844 and died at Norwich, Chenango, New York, on July 6, 1864. He enlisted at New Berlin, New York, on Nov. 28, 1861 and was discharged March 18, 1863 at Fortress Monroe, Virginia, for disability the result of Typhoid Fever. He is buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery at Norwich. For more information on George please go to the Sharpshooter Descendants forum.

George's elder brother John H. Harkins enlisted in Co. H, 17th NY Volunteer Infantry at Norwich, New York, on May 24, 1861 and died of Typhoid Fever 4 months later at Alexandria, Virginia, on Sept. 25, 1861. He was 18 years old. He is buried at Alexandria National Cemetery.

George W. and John H. Harkins father John Harkin was a member of Co. H, 76th NY Volunteer Infantry. On Aug. 29, 1862 he was captured by the enemy at the 2nd Battle of Bull Run (Battle of 2nd Manassas) and held prisoner to Oct. 31, 1862. He was discharged on April 9, 1863 for general debility the result of Fever. He survived the war.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:34 am 
Corporal

I passed through Norwich on my way to our Camp of Instruction last weekend. I'll stop and pay my respects next time I head south.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:11 am 
Private

You may have a difficult time finding the gravesite as there is no record of it at Mt. Hope's office. The lady that found the headstone went by these directions furnished by the County Historian "As you drive in the main entrance past the chapel, on right look for big monument for John O. Hill. Facing that monument turn around and face south (toward Price Chopper) Walk to that lot (A, I believe). right in front of you is a row of small markers of Civil War era. He is in that row".

Greg