It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Requesting a headstone??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:51 am 
Private

Has anyone here requested a government headstone for a sharpshooter?

Clinton Loveridge (co B and co H 1st US) has an identified plot with no marker.

He was severely wounded, leg amputated and a world class painter to boot. He's buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, and is very deserving of a marker, I would like to try to get one for him if I can.

Advice anyone??

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 am 
Sergeant

Company 'H' and fellow Sharpshooters.

I would recommend that you get in contact with the Brooklyn Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Camp; or the Dept. of NY SUVCW. Here is the link to the Tilden Camp that has conducted memorials at Greenwood: http://www.olivertildencamp26suvcw.org/

Most large Northern communities will have a listing for a SUVCW 'Camp'. Among the Camp officers listed is the Grave Registration Officer. Among his many duties, it is his job to assist comrades like you to process the paperwork with the U.S. Veterans Administration to obtain a new headstone and work with the cemetery sexton to have it erected. Once the headstone is in place, it is not uncommon for the local SUVCW camp to conduct a 1917 grave dedication ceremony; that incorporates the traditions paid by the original veterans to comrades who 'passed over the river' in the years after the War.

One of the recent 'snags' in processing CW headstone requests is the large number of WW2 vets passing on. The Vet Admin provides the headstones free of charge--but with the large demand for WW2 vets headstones, they now require any headstone request be filled out by a descendent (or their name provided) of the veteran. THIS IS WHERE THE GRAVE REGISTRATION OFFICER and the SUVCW really comes in handy; unless you know the family of Clinton Loveridge.

I very much appreciate your desire to 'keep green the memory' of Sharpshooter Loveridge. Up here in the 'Great White North' of Michigan my Sons Camp is constantly rediscovering forgotten farm cemeterys with a half buried CW veterans headstone. My favorite experience has been working with Chris Czopeck (author of Who was who in Company K: The Native Americans of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters) to locate the graves of two Odawa-Chippewa veterans of the all-Indian company of the 1st Regt Michigan Sharpshooters buried in unmarked graves in Boyne City. After three years of detective work we finally located both men's final resting places. Chris was able to use his contacts within the Band to discover that both men had descendents living in Leelanau and Isabella counties. When Chris presented his discoveries to the Isabella Ogitchedaw (warrior-veterans society) gathering one man broke down--his uncle had recently given up a 40 year odessey of find his ancestors grave--the one that Chris located only a month before. The grave dedication ceremony incorporated traditional Native American drum and chanting (to welcome of the departed's spirit) followed by the GAR ceremony. All of us who participated in the project were deeply moved--as was the ancestors and visitors.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS
Past Camp Commander, Sgt. Robert Finch (Co. B 1st MI SS) Camp 14; Dept of Mich. Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
Private

Thanks Bill,

We may be in a bit of luck as I do believe he has a living relative somewhere in New York. The only issue of course is getting said relative interested enough in helping. She didn't seem to care much for the pre-artist days of clinton's life.

I will reach out the brooklyn SUV, that's a great idea.

If I make any progress, I will let you guys know.

Thanks
Chris