It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:41 pm 
Sergeant

'afternoon,

On another forum an individual stated
On one of the many UnCivil War books I used to own and loaned out, so I never got them back, there was a period description of how to tell how far away a man was by whether you could distinguish his legs, then his arms, then his hands, etc. as one got closer.

I typed that info up and gave it to the Scout Sniper Instructor School Instructors to try out. They stopped by the next day and said it worked VERY well and "WTH did I get it?" I told them once again we had forgotten something that people used to know and informed them where it came from.

Though it has been about 30 years, so I don't remember exactly, the information I gave above may have come from USSS manuals/instruction.

I know that I've read that the men were trained to determine distance, but I've not come across the actual process. I believe that it's one of the Harper's Weekly that indicates that men had to determine the distance that others were standing at in a field, as part of the training, but that's the closest I have. Does anyone have an actual manual source and/or what the process being indicated above is?

Thanks,
Calum

140th PVI, Co A
https://www.facebook.com/140pvi/

1st USSS, Co H
http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans