It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:55 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters.

A few years ago fellow Sharpshooter researcher, Brian White sent me a New York newspaper article describing the tragic death of former Captain William H. Nash, (Co. B, 1st USSS).

While waiting for Dave Rider to wrest the Co. C website back from an online Chinese pharmacy, I discovered a 2018 article written by Green Wood Cemetery guide, Jeff Richman, who had been conducting tours highlighting the final resting places of New York’s finest.

Richman introduced his article: “After leading tours at Green-Wood for 28 years, I still love to create new ones. One of the virtues of doing new and different tours of Green-Wood:  I get to research and learn. So it is with my recent tour, “Sound the Alarm:  Green-Wood’s Firemen.” I knew, before I began this research, about several lots and monuments at the cemetery dedicated to firemen. However, as I prepared for this tour, I learned a great deal more. One story that has come together: that of hero Fireman William H. Nash”

Richman describes his adventure to learn of Captain Nash’s pre-NY fire fighter life, that revealed him to be a truly heroic figure before, during and after the Civil War. And like many of New York’s finest, tragically died, doing what he loved.

Here is the link to Jeff Richman’s article.

https://www.green-wood.com/2018/the-mys ... rpshooter/

Bill Skillman, Bugler
Michigan Companies
Berdans Survivors Association
(Reactivated)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:00 pm 
Sergeant

Bill Skillman wrote:
Fellow Sharpshooters.

A few years ago fellow Sharpshooter researcher, Brian White sent me a New York newspaper article describing the tragic death of former Captain William H. Nash, (Co. B, 1st USSS).

While waiting for Dave Rider to wrest the Co. C website back from an online Chinese pharmacy, I discovered a 2018 article written by Green Wood Cemetery guide, Jeff Richman, who had been conducting tours highlighting the final resting places of New York’s finest.

Richman introduced his article: “After leading tours at Green-Wood for 28 years, I still love to create new ones. One of the virtues of doing new and different tours of Green-Wood:  I get to research and learn. So it is with my recent tour, “Sound the Alarm:  Green-Wood’s Firemen.” I knew, before I began this research, about several lots and monuments at the cemetery dedicated to firemen. However, as I prepared for this tour, I learned a great deal more. One story that has come together: that of hero Fireman William H. Nash”

Richman describes his adventure to learn of Captain Nash’s pre-NY fire fighter life, that revealed him to be a truly heroic figure before, during and after the Civil War. And like many of New York’s finest, tragically died, doing what he loved.

Here is the link to Jeff Richman’s article.

https://www.green-wood.com/2018/the-mys ... rpshooter/

Bill Skillman, Bugler
Michigan Companies
Berdan Sharpshooters Survivors Association
(Reactivated)