It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am 
Sergeant

Gents,

I am looking for anybody who has copies or access to information on the First Regiment USSS Quartermaster clothing issuances for the third quarter (Sept) 1862. I have had little success determining when or even if inspections were held after the USSS returned from the Second Bull Run campaign and then were marched off to begin the Antietam campaign. Primary sources for this period are few and far between-and none of them I've reviewed say anything about inspections or issuances of new clothing drawn other than when the regiment was on the Peninsula following the Seven Days campaign. There are a few references about other AoP regiments whose uniforms were in such a state of disrepair that they were ordered to wear greatcoats during A. Lincoln's review in October.

Regulations call for the regimental commander to order company officers to conduct inspections of the men's uniforms and ordnance and to order new issuances of those items if required. As we found in my Post-Gettysburg Analysis (posted on this forum), the 1st USSS was unable to obtain new issuances of clothing until the close of the Gettysburg campaign (despite inspections being held in June). Was the clothing of the 1st USSS in equally poor shape at the close of the Antietam campaign?

I am assisting a friend with a painting and we want the uniforms and appearance of the men to be as accurate as possible.

Thank you for your attention, and hopefully, assistance on this project.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS
Hudson Squad-150