It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:49 pm 
Sergeant

Friends,

I thought I'd try again here, where people may view the top of the page more often. I am looking for any information pertaining to the service of Fred Garrett, Company D 1st USSS. A collector I am acquainted with in Ohio has a signed CDV of Garrett taken at barracks in NY and I suspect that he could have been drafted and pulled as a recruit by Co. D.

I'm also interested in purchasing CDV's of USSS in or out of uniform if anyone happens to want to move any they might have.

Thanks again,

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:35 pm 
Private

Frederic E. Garrett filed for a pension from Pennsylvania in 1889. File and certificate no's are 733184/523357 for his pension file. His wife Abbie B. Garrett filed for a pension in 1907 (which is probably when he died) from New York and her file no's are 870432/661079. He is listed in the pension files as being a QM Sgt as well as a member of D-1st USSS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:37 pm 
Private

Brian,
I doubt that Frederick Garrett was a draftee. According to the 1890 Veterans Census Schedule from Edenburg Boro and Upper Beaver (Clarion County) PA, Frederick E. Garrett reported that he was a Quarter Master Sgt in Co. D-1st USSS and that his term of service was from Nov. 16, 1861 to Nov. 24, 1864. His mailing address was Knox PA at the time and he reported that he suffered from deafness in the left ear. I notice that the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors website lists his rank as private upon entering the service and QM Sgt as his rank upon leaving. Could he have been serving at the barracks you mentioned in his capacity as QM Sgt?
In the 1900 census he was living in Cranberry/Oil City (Venango Co.) PA which may be where he died.
Did you know that the Army Military History Institute Library in Carlisle PA has an image of him? It may be the same one you have seen. I have a copy which I can email you if you would like.
Bonnie Knott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm 
Sergeant

Bonnie,

Good to know that he enlisted in '61 and my concerns about why he was at the Albany Barracks were incorrect! I sometimes forget that the answer may be the simplest one, and not uncommon for the period; men were simply sent to do duty in places other than the front lines.

The image of Garrett at the USAMHI was definitely on my list but unfortunately they did not bring me any of the NYHS or MOLLUS file holdings...I think they delivered about ten other boxes first and I hit my limit early. Below is the image I have on file, courtesy of the Richard Carlile collection.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:46 pm 
Private

Brian,
That is the same photo that is on file at the USAMHI in Carlisle.