It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 pm 
Private

I'm not sure if this is a problem throughout all the companies within both USSS regts. We'll ignore the problems associated with spelling of names for right now.

There's no great history of Company H, and by and large they're not discussed more then in passing for most of the major Berdan oriented works. Even with stuff written by company members, most of the realiable story stops after the Seven Days. They've got issues throughout the various databases (Soldiers/Sailors, Ancestry, Historical Systems-I realize that they rely on eachother, but they are also very conflicting) as far as the books are concerned, each book conflicts as to who is and isn't in the company, or in command. Post Seven Days, Company H doesn't seem to really get mentioned in the AAR except for brief mention at Gettysburg, and then again at Petersburg. There was no major Long Island paper at the time (where H was primarily recruited from) The NY Times and Brooklyn Daily Eagle didn't do much to confirm or deny anything that showed up in a print volume.

The New York State Archives turned up dry.

I have a call into the NARA to see if they have any muster rolls for H so far nothing.

Where would you guys go from here?

Thanks Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 am 
Private

Chris,
If you have the names of some of the members of Co. H-1st USSS you could check to see if any of them had filed for pensions. I have found valuable information this way (descriptions of wounds, where received and how etc). I have access to the index of those who filed for Civil War pensions and could look up certain names for you to see if they filed and then obtain their pension file numbers for you. You could then either go to the National Archives in Washington and look up their individual files or you could write NARA to obtain copies, although this would be very expensive.