It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Admin

I am finally getting around to completing projects I've promised to readers of the Forum. This new article is a photo essay on how to create 1860 Ordnance/flat base blank cartridges.

Thanks for the opportunity to share information on the Company 'C' website. It is nice to know that there is an audience out there that appreciates the work you and Co. C do.

Bill

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/Cartridges.pdf

Company “C” 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
Sergeant

Dave and fellow Sharpshooters,

With the 150 events coming up, I would really like to have each company that participates to encourage their members to make one box (10-15 rounds) of flat based rounds to use during the Bull Run-2 or Antietam events. Then, I'd really appreciate you posting the results here on the Forum. This is the best chance for me and other readers from across the country (and pond, a tip of the cap to our UK brethern) will have to evaluate the effectiveness of the flat base blanks in a variety of Sharps rifles.

As always, my goal is to help fellow Sharpshooters enjoy more time firing their Sharps instead of impotently 'snap, crackle and popping' away on the skirmish line.

On the batter's deck is the next photo essay: "How to make Sharps paste board ammunition boxes"

If you enjoy these articles, be sure to give webmaster, Dave Rider, a tip of your cap in appreciation.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:21 am 
Sergeant

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I just re-re-re-re-read my article as a final proof-read and found I'd made a significant mistake in the "Materials" section:

THE BRASS TUBE NEEDS TO BE 1/2 INCH IN DIAMETER (INTERIOR MEASUREMENT)--I bought mine from ACE Hardware.
THE FORMER NEEDS TO BE 1/2 INCH IN DIAMETER

You may notice in the photos the brass tube has tan postal packaging tape wrapped around it. I found there are slight differences in the interior chamber measurements between the Pederosoli and Shiloh Sharps rifles. By wrapping postal tape 1-2 times around the former this ensures a good fit between the cartridge and the chamber walls. You want enough friction between them so you can insert the cartridge easily, and it will remain in place when running or jostling around into firing position.

I apologize for the oversight before posting the article. Hope this helps...

Bill Skillman-Hudson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:31 pm 
Sergeant

I will vouch for Bill's excellent Sharps cartridges. I have a Pedersoli Sharps that's given me fits for over a decade and it was due to two things: the cartridges, which were too small and had folded paper bases that had to be "chopped", and a gas-check plate seemingly fused to the block (which I remedied with hammer, chisel, and a lot of filing). I had used someone else's cartridge rolling technique and they caused jams when cutting the ends off with the block, or they would slide down the chamber and not ignite or ignite with a long delay. They were not the proper diameter either but as a young trigger-happy reenactor I figured that the more rounds I could fit in my cartridge box the better.

I used Bill's own cartridges for the first time at the Payne's Farm event back in the fall of 2005. They were the perfect fit for my Sharps chamber, did not need to be cut, and ignited instantly. Those rounds and the work I had done on my breech block literally made me yelp with surprise and joy on the skirmish line when I had not a single misfire! Later at a living history at Malvern Hill, I had accidentally left my cartridges at home and Bill let me use his (since he was giving the lecture and acting as bugler). Same effect...not a single misfire while we maneuvered through the fields by the sound of the bugle.

Thank you Bill, for sharing this article and providing comprehensive photographs of the process!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 pm 
Private

Bill, Thank You for taking the time to put forth such a instructional for blank cartages. Clear instructions and good photography, nicely done! I’ve three months to wait for my shiloh, might try making a few.

I’ve a question about the PDF and its link from David Rider post. The link does open up the PDF, but I can’t down load the PDF, print the PDF or even copy the text and images from the PDF to paste into a new document to save to my hard drive.

Is there some function of the web site or security feature built into the PDF, so it is not downloadable or printable?

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm 
Sergeant

David,

Send me a personal message and I'll email the article to you directly.

I am not real skilled with how the PDF format works. I just send Dave the articles and he does his magic so they appear on the website.

I took the Shiloh out 2 weeks ago to fire some really old ammo and experienced 'block lock up' for the very first time. I've owned my Shiloh since 1996 and fired hundreds of blank and live rounds without a problem. I made up 20 new rounds, but also added the 'O-ring solution' to the breechblock--I will be evaluating them on Wednesday during my SUVCW drill. I'll be sure to write up a report and post it here on the Forum.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 pm 
Private

Hey Bill, going to be making these in the next few days and trying to scramble around and get the right materials for it. Only question I have is with the base paper. I know it a "shirt tissue" but not really clear on what that is or where to get it. If you can help clear up the problem Im having that would be great.

Ethan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 am 
Sergeant

'morning Ethan,

When I've made them, I've just used tissue paper and it's been working fine. I'm using left over holiday stuff so it's colored, where the shirt paper probably isn't. I've found that while I'm still getting used to using this style cartridge, the coloring actually helps me put the right end in the chamber... :oops: I've been using the twist tails so long that I'm having to re-train myself that the flat end doesn't automatically go in first...

Calum

140th PVI, Co A
https://www.facebook.com/140pvi/

1st USSS, Co H
http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am 
Sergeant

Cal and Fellow Sharpshooters;

You have the right material....the 'shirt tissue' is plentiful during the Holidays at most department stores and the clerks are very generous when you ask them to throw in extra 'for my wife's new blouse'. It is thin, strong and adheres nicely to the walls of the cartridge tube. If you need a supply send me a PM with your address and I'll be happy to send you some so you know what to look for at the stores.

Actually, I like your idea of using colored tissue paper, because it is significantly easier to see what end of the blank to insert into the chamber. When strongly pressed on the skirmish line, I run my index finger over the blank while moving from the box to the rifle, locate the smooth base of the cartridge and insert the crimped end into the chamber. But once a season I get a blank inserted the wrong end first and have to push it up the bore with a second cartridge--BOOOMMMM.

I've nearly finished the Pattern One Pasteboard Cartridge Box photo essay....stay tuned! Then you'll have something to store all those newly made cartridges in.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters;

I recently followed my wife into a beauty supply store when she was looking for some special shampoo. While aimlessly wandering the aisles I came to the 'hair curling papers' section and the lightbulb when on over my head. When at last year's 150 BGA Gettysburg event (waiting in the shade before being deployed to engage CSA artillery on Day 3) one Sharpshooter showed me his cartridge box filled with blanks made from hair curling papers. I was intrigued, and asked to examine one and get his input on how he made them. He used the same method as my article outlined, but twisted the end to seal the cartridge instead of crimping it--the base was formed by simply folding the paper flat and gluing it in place. He reported excellent success. I tried making a few to experiment with this past weekend but had poor results. I can't blame the cartridge because I was also using a mix of CCI reenactor and RWS caps (see Public Disccusion for more on this topic). More research to follow...

If you have difficulty finding shirt tisue, I found I could cut the hair curling papers into 1X1 inch squares and they also work perfectly to form the base for blank cartridges and to seal the powder (before crimping). It cost $7 for a box of 1000 papers.

Hope this helps.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS