PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Admin

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/Sharps_O_Ring_article.pdf

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters;

My comrade, Brian White, contacted me after he followed my instructions for the NSSA O-ring solution for his Pederosoli Sharps. He reported that his gas check has 'zero clearance' before installing the O-ring. He thought that after dropping the O ring in would cause the gas plate to sit so high above the block surface that he couldn't fit it back into the reciever.

Brian is correct. Sam Dobbins informed Jim Boullion that one needed to remove between 1/32 and 1/16 of material from the base of the gas check's 'washer' before the O-ring would fit. I strongly recommend that anybody undertaking this operation ONLY USE HAND TOOLS!!! It is far better to be stuck with 'still a little bit more' than too little metal to remove. Best thing to do, is take a few swipes using a flat file or sharping stone, then fitting the 'O" ring into the recess, reassemble the block and try sliding it back into the chamber.

Remember, the O-ring needs to be compressed enough so it puts pushes against the rear of the gas check. Expect a little resistance when fitting the block into the chamber. When the rifle is fired, the gas combined with the O-ring's "memory" (to return to it's original shape) seals the gap between the block and chamber.

For guys who own Pederosoli's that have seen lots of service (and may have gas scoring on the face of the plate) might consider purchasing a spare plate. Brian is satisfied with his current set up for firing blank cartridges, but because shooting live rounds generates significantly more breech pressure, this is when 'block lock' really becomes noticeable. Remember the NSSA boys don't shoot blanks--and they shoot A LOT of live rounds in practice and competition. So if their Sharps gets out of order, it means added seconds and possibly disqualification during competitions.

I recommended that Brian get a replacement gas check from Flintlocks, Etc. (see link below). They stock the complete line of Davide Pedrosoli Sharps gun parts.When I talked with Mr. Beauchamp many years ago; very nice and knowledgable guy; he sent me a schematic of the Ped Sharps so I could give parts #'s as needed in the future: http://www.flintlocksetc.com.
Hope this helps,

Bill Skillman,
Hudson Squad USSS