It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Sergeant

Some time ago a member of this Forum asked me if individual USSS company's were issued and carried flags into battle. At that time I was only aware of the Regimental and National colors being mentioned. However, as I was doing research for a new "Who were they" article last night I uncovered this fascinating bit of information in Fox Lake's Civil War News & Letters.

On March 28, 1862, from Camp Porter, near Hampton, Va-Charley of Nimrod (C.A. Stevens) wrote: “A splendid silk flag, made by Tiffany & Co. of New York, by order of Alex. Mitchell, Esq., of Milwaukee, was unfurled to the breeze at Camp Hampton immediately after we are armed, and loud were the cheers given by the Badger boys for the flag and the gentlemen who so kindly sent it to us. Henry Marin, of Dane County takes charge of the same as Company Standard Bearer.

On September 16, 1863, Stevens again wrote to his friend Lucius Fairchild, Editor of the Fox Lake Gazette: “It was the intention of Co. G to send home to the State the flag presented to them by Mr. Alexander Mitchell, of Milwaukee, but I am sorry to say that the “colors” referred to have turned up missing. It was carried in the ranks from Washington to the Chickahominy, while on the Peninsula campaign under Gen. McClellan, but during the seven days fighting, was put aboard the regimental teeams, in which manner it has been carried on subsequent marches through the Maryland campaign of McClellan, the Fredericksburgh campaigns of Burnside and Hooker, and started on the late campaign of Gen. Meade into Pennsylvania, during which time it was probably lost. I am in hopes, however, that it may yet be found and eventurally returned to the State as a relic of the doings of this Company of “Badgers”. In which event the following list of battles and skirmishes might with propriety be noted on its folds”

• Great Bethel
• Cockletown Va.
• Yorktown, Va
• Hanover Court House, Va
• Chickahominy Swamp Va.
• Mechanicsville, Va
• Gaines Hill, Va
• Chickahominy, Va.
• Charles City Cross Rds, Va.
• Malvern Hill, Va
• 2nd Bull Run
• Antietam, Md.
• Blackmans Ford, Va.
• Fredericksburgh
• Ellis’ Ford, Va
• Chancellorsville, Va.
• Gettysburg, Pa.
• Wapping Heights, Va.

While this is the first confirmed account of individual USSS company's being given colors, hopefully it won't be the last.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

Source:
Flemming, J., Graff, D., Zumm, L. Fox Lake’s Civil War News and Letters. Wisconsin Power & Light Foundation, Inc. 2002.