It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:15 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters.

I wish I knew who did the public web-search for this image as I've never seen it before. I clicked on the link and discovered an amazing image.

Alfred Waud (he is famously photographed sketching on a rock in Devils Den shortly after the battle at Gettysburg by Alexander Gardner in July 1863) sketched this regimental formation of the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters before Yorktown. C.A. Stevens described the encampment in Berdan's United States Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac.

In the background you can see the elaborate use of evergreens used to form ornate arches, stars and company letters (Wisconsin Co. 'G' and New Hampshire's Co. 'E' are stand out on the far left).

The few details of the ranks show the men standing at 'support arms' (likely the Colt Repeating Rifles); they are dressed in the regulation uniform coat (frock coat), forage caps (there is no evidence of leggings). The regimental music-ID'ed as 4 'trumpeters' stand on the far right of the line (likely Chief Bugler, Calvin Morse is the man on the far right of the buglers). Waud has also sketched and identified the positions of the Lt. Col. (likely Wm. Ripley), Major and Col. (Berdan).

Bill Skillman
Bugler
USSS

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2004660993/