It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:07 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters.

I was trying to locate the descriptive rolls for Co. G 1st USSS when I clicked into the Siege of Petersburg Online website. For those who are interested, it provides a treasure trove of information of the Federal units engaged in the siege, including the Sharpshooters.

One link I found particularly interesting is for Sgt. Alanzo Woodruff of Michigan's Co. I. The article describes Woodruff's battlefield heroism during the confused fighting at Hatcher's Run that made him the recipient of the Medal of Honor. Before the War Woodruff lived in my hometown of Farmington, Michigan. He is buried in the Valley Cemetery in Luther, Lake County, Michigan.

General B[yron]. R. Pierce, who led the Second Brigade, Third Division, Second Army Corps, gives the following version of the occurrence, of which he was an eye witness: “I wish to call attention to the bravery displayed by Sergeant Alonzo Woodruff and Corporal John M. Howard. They were posted on the extreme left of the line as the enemy passed our left flank.

“After discharging their rifles and being unable to reload, Corporal Howard ran and caught one of the enemy who seemed to be leading that part of the line. When he was overpowered and had received a severe wound through both legs, Sergeant Woodruff went to his assistance. Clubbing his rifle, he had a desperate hand-to-hand struggle, but finally succeeded in freeing Corporal Howard and both made their escape.”

A few minutes later Woodruff noticed a rebel marching a private of his company, N. J. Standard, who was wounded, away as a prisoner.

“What?” the gritty sergeant exclaimed, “The gall of those rebels!”

And he jumped right among the rebels, rushed after his comrade and not only released Standard, but even turned the tables on his captor, making him a prisoner instead. However, the brave sergeant did not escape injury, and during the last encounter was severely wounded himself and forced to seek medical assistance as soon as he reached his lines.

Here is the link to the Petersburg Siege webpage: http://www.beyondthecrater.com/resource ... -woodruff/