It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Folks,

I was in Falmouth/Fredericksburg this weekend and stopped by the Conway House to setup our research trip details, I have attached an image of the Plaque that was purchased for the Conway house with the funds from our donation in September:

All details are set for our trip, I will be emailing details this week.

Company “C” 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 pm 
Corporal

It looks very good, Mr. Rider! I wish I could be with the company this weekend when it is dedicated...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm 
Private

Dave: Just wanted to thank you for the great research trip this past weekend. You did a fantastic job lining up a full and informative day. For those that missed it you missed an informative and impressive trip.

We started meeting for breakfast at a historic Café in Falmouth. This was across the street from the building where Wyman white was imprisoned for not completing his guard duty shift (pg 66-68). The Café was in a period house and Wyman even mentions this house and its residents (pg 71).

We next went to the White Oak Civil War Museum and research center. There we met a civil war giant in the field of Civil War artifacts, Mr. D.P. Newton has an unbelievable collection that is a “must see” stop. He is a gentle and quiet man that is willing to share his collection to any visitor. Check out the website at: http://www.WhiteOakMuseum.com

Mr. Newton then led several through the surrounding countryside and showed us where the Sharpshooter camp was. From there he took us to where he had found numerous fired sharps rounds and was able to determine that this was where the Sharpshooters held target practice. Unfortunately it is now a housing complex, but thanks to Mr. Newton and his father this information was not lost. We stopped at other local sites and could have spent the day just driving around.

We then stopped at the Conway house and got a close up look at the maker Company C donated. An interesting house and one you see often associated with the Sharpshooters.

The day still wasn’t over as Dave directed us to The Fredericksburg battle site. We just made it in for the final showing of the movie and then moved out to tour Marye’s Heights and the surrounding grounds. I always thought the sunken road was up on a hill, but now know it’s only a slight rise. The 600 yards of open ground and the commanding view the Confederate artillery had made getting to the road impossible. A fascinating stop that answered several questions about that fateful day.

After that it was time to head back to Western Pa. Randy did a great job getting us back in about 6 hours and in 1 piece. Thank you to Dave Rider for helping to organize this trip and to everyone who lined up contacts and planned a great day. It was heartwarming to see Art Buker again and Phil’s jokes were a hit as always. I can only hope our Captain Greg gets his back taken care of, or I’ll have to massage it again. Oh the horrors a private has to go through.

P.S. It has been confirmed that our Dave Rider is NOT the hero in Space Mutiny. Our super hero is not quite that “buff”. Check out the movie and you'll see that I’m not convinced.

Your humble and thankful servant,

Larry