It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leggings Project
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
Sergeant

Friends,

After a long period in development purgatory, the leggings project I have been wanting to do is close to being underway. Robert Serio of Missouri Boot & Shoe was kind enough to lend his expertise to the project and has also agreed to manufacture the leggings. Sometime soon I will be receiving samples of the correct weight of leather to be used, as well as samples of the various brown and russet finishes available for the finished leggings. Once the leather/finish samples are approved a prototype pair can be constructed before the run commences.

As it currently stands I have a new leggings pattern drafted and graduated in four sizes (S - XL) and the buckles have been selected. The leggings will be 16" tall, machine sewn, with five straps and buckles up the side and one under the foot. The buckles are a solid brass center-bar style that will be securely hand-sewn directly to the legging; straps will be adjacent and sewn underneath the side opening. Finding a suitable buckle type was one of my biggest concerns outside of patterning so rest assured that these will be both serviceable and authentic. The patterning and construction details of these leggings are based directly off of an original pair in the collection of artist/historian Don Troiani. Other considerations were taken into account after studying the hardware on seven additional pairs of cloth and leather leggings, as well as an examination of hi-res photos from the Library of Congress. Access to the unparalleled Richard Carlile and Ronn Palm collections allowed me to get a close look at remarkably detailed, unpublished U.S.S.S. portraits that provided additional details.

And that's it for now. Until I get photos or receive the first pair of leggings there won't be much more to comment on. I also do not have a finished price estimate and likely will not have one until Robert completes the first pair. However, I did quote him 6 to 8 pairs for the run, and possibly more depending on interest, so those of you who have been waiting for well-researched, quality leggings may have your chance to get your name on the list. I will report back here with further details on the four sizes, leather finish, and price when the time comes.

Thanks again for your support and interest. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions, concerns, comments, et cetera.

Regards,

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters