It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Knapsacks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 am 
Private

Hi! If this is stepping on anyones toes or is inapporpriately commercial, mods can feel free to delete.

Most of the prototype work for my revised USSS knapsack is done. Unfortunately, July and August are crazy for me, so I probably won't be able to swing into production until September and will be able to post photos for comment/criticism then.

I am hoping to get to Gettysburg this November, my first US event in some time, and could have three or four ready at that time.

This is just a general query as to whether there might still be any interest in these among the folks on this board. I did notice that you seem to have a regular supplier for them now. I'm dividing my time between this and Napoleonic now, so trying to spend the energy where there is a demand.

I actually opened a box and found about four US regulation painted knapsacks also, which I would like to find new owners for as well. Berdans folks never ask me about normal knapsacks....

People are free to send me a message for more information or to be kept informed of when photos and such will be available.

There is a website coming..... but it's not ready yet. [sigh...]

Hope to see some of you guys again soon!

Frank

Post subject: Re: New Knapsacks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 am 
Sergeant

Greeting Frank,

Good to hear from you after such a long hiatus.

I know that Dan and a couple of the progressive USSS have cooled their heels waiting for old USSS members to leave the hobby and put their 'first run' Berdan-Tiffany-Packer knapsacks up for sale; so your good news is timely. Brian snatched up a 'new in box' Packer knapsack from a gentleman last year at the Mansfield CW Show-was in the original cardboard shipping box with a bill of sale and note written by you. When Brian opened the box my nostrils immediately detected the 'new knapsack smell' wafting about--I remembered the excitement when I took my own knapsack from the shipping box for the first time.

I don't know if Dave Rider will be able to post the pictures of your new knapsacks here on the website, but you can send them to me and I forward them to folks who have expressed an interest already.

Don't know if I'll make it out to Remembrance Day this year, but you've given me a new reason to make the trip.

Bill Skillman
Randolph Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm 
Sergeant

Frank,

Bill is correct, I did buy a new, unused knapsack of yours last year and couldn't be happier. Although I haven't been able to use it yet, I have always regretted selling the first one that I ordered from you at the 135th Gettysburg.

I will pass on word of the new knapsacks to my friend and business partner Dan Wambaugh. He's the only one in our group who doesn't have the Tiffany & Co. pack anymore, so he will be happy to hear there's another run. Those double-bags sound interesting too. Do they feature hand-sewn or machine-sewn bags?

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:13 am 
Private

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure how I feel about a knapsack going that long without being used, but a very good score for you! I trust it will now get to go out to events :)

Photos I can probably host somwhere else and link to them. I would like to show the whole process step by step, which might explain some of those questions that keep coming up for people who go into making their own (layout of parts on the hide, how it fits to the frame, etc.)

Judging by your quick replies, I'll put a few in the mix. Hopefully I'll see some of you again this year.

Frank