It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:40 am 
Private

Been looking to round out my sharpshooter impression and a Whipple will help with that. I know that Dirty Billy is the only maker as of now but thought I would give this a shot first... If anyone has one they would like to sell met me know via PM on here on how much you would let it go for.

Ethan
Co. D 2nd USSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am 
Sergeant

Ethan,

To my knowledge DB is currently the only hatter making the Seamless Clothing Co. (aka Whipple) hat. For readers who are unfamiliar with the Seamless Clothing Co. of New York, I recall Dave posted a write up by Brian White on this topic in this forum.

Brian White, I believe 'way back in the day' provided DB with the orginial specs and sample photos of the SC Co. hat based on research he had done. The past couple years, usually on our annual sojourns to Gburg, we have talked about Brian laying in a supply of hat blanks and making up his own limited production run of SCS Co./Whipple hats for the 150th CW events. The problem with all of these 'special projects' is locating modern hat blanks that match or come closest to the materials that the originals had. For those who own or have seen Brian's work, his standards are very exacting and he has abandoned more projects than completed because of his dissatisfaction with one or more aspects of research, materials or execution of the product.

Keep in mind that outside of some early New Hampshire regiments and the USSS, the Seamless Clothing Co. hats were not widely issued or retained for service. Because they were the same 'rebellious hue' of the enemy uniforms, C.A. Stevens reported the USSS had to abandon their grey Seamless Clothing overcoats when posted as skirmisher/sharpshooters between US and CSA battlelines at Yorktown. I have no doubt that the hats likely were disposed of, sent home or replaced by caps (by Regimental/Brigade/Division orders).

It is a great piece of kit, as is the SC Co. overcoat--but really limited on when and where you could legitimately (historically) wear it for a USSS impression. For the 150's; unless you are doing a living history event where you can provide spectators a 'time line' of USSS service impression, the Whipple would likely be confined to 1861-62. Of course, there are exceptions. If you have a original soldier's journal stating he retained his Whipple hat--use that to justify its presence beyond the time lines I have researched.

Hope this helps.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:28 am 
Private

Very informative Bill, thank you.

I was planning on having a "Trough the years" kind of thing for displays and early war events here in Washington State. Theres also the fact that they are a unique kind of item and would love to talk about with both public and reenactor alike who want to know more.

As always, thank you Bill for your insight on the matter.

Ethan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:41 am 
Private

After going through some troubles with not having the money for a Whipple for my "through the years" bit of my USSS impression. Im back on the market. I know of one on here who was willing to sell one but not sure if hes still wiling or if anyone has one and is willing to let it go to a new home. As before, please PM me on here if anyone has one and is wanting to sell it or if you know of someone willing to sell one.

Ethan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:27 pm 
Sergeant

Ethan,

A quick trip to Dirty Billy's website shows he still carries the US-29 1861 Whipple hat for $195. That sounds pretty expensive but with the added details requiring more labor, the price isn't so bad as it first seems. Per our original discussion, though--it is a time limited bit of kit for the Sharpshooters.

There were a few of the Ohio USSS (Co. A 1st USSS) back in the mid-late 1990's that purchased and wore the Whipple hats for their regional events and a few showed up for the 135th Antietam. I nearly shot one Buckeye recruit (wearing a Whipple), retreating thru the dense corn and smog thinking, he was one of Hood's boys coming to finish me off. I had just got 'whacked' as regimental color bearer and Adjt. Parmalee (Randy Bartley) grabbed my flag and disappeared into the gloom with the survivors of the regiment in hot pursuit. One memorable and crazy scrap--and easy to see how the orders to the Sharpshooters to turn in their gray overcoats and Whipple caps were both timely and apropos.

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

It is possible one of those Ohio fellows might have a Whipple moldering at the bottom of their USSS tote--but I suspect most were sold off during the intervening years. However, if I hear of one 'still out there' I'll let you know. Good luck with your search.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS