It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:36 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters

I found on the Authentic Campaigner website this morning a Pederosoli NM1859 'Infantry Rifle' for sale. What makes this one unique is the seller went to the pains to have the modern markings removed, added a bayonet stud, and converted an original sword bayonet to fit the rifle. This would have been the same model rifle purchased by Truman Head (aka California Joe, Co. C 1st USSS) at Camp of Instruction by the Sharps Rifle Mfg rep. Here is the write up on the rifle---the website features photos of the rifle. This is the same rifle that I posted about last October under the Sharps Rifle folder (Todd Watts Sharps Rifle).

Dear Friends,

Realizing that I'm unlikely to be attending any events where I can use this weapon anytime soon, I have decided to let it go to someone who will appreciate and use it for living history. I worked with a number of great craftsmen to have a piece that was as much like the original as was practical. I started with a Pedersoli New Model Sharps Rifle in near mint condition. The breech has the "O" ring modification favored by shooters for its better gas seal and improved performance without fouling as much. A sword bayonet lug was machined and fitted to the barrel. The lock plate was replaced with an original having much of it's original finish (appears to me as such) and the markings are strong. A reproduction hammer was fitted with the proper slots on the rear face. Original and reproduction Lawrence Primer parts were added to demonstrate how the primer system worked. It should be noted that the hammer does not travel as far back as on the original but operates ok. The balance of the internal lock parts are Pedersoli and required no modifications that I know of. If something would ever break on you, parts are only a phone call away. All of the modifications were performed by a professional machinist/gunsmith.

This weapon has been fired very few times. Defarbing was carried out by Todd Watts who did a great job. He refinished the wood, removed markings, reblued the barrel, bands, etc, and added stampings to the barrel and flip sight. The rifle also comes with an original sword bayonet that fits this weapon. A reproduction sword bayonet scabbard and frog are included as well. If you want it, I will provide a plastic hard case.

$1400 plus shipping (or, you may pick it up if you happen to be in the Gettysburg to Baltimore area)

Please contact me by forum message should you have any questions. Thank you very much for your time and attention

Regards,

John Novicki

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 am 
Sergeant

The 'California Joe' Sharps has been sold. Congrats to the lucky owner.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS