It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jan Berger Copper Bugles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters.

This morning I found on the Authentic Campainger that Jan Berger has announced that he will soon have for sale a limited (second) run of copper bugles. Jan's reproductions are the same (in dimensions, features and materials) as bugles produced by northern manufacturerers for U.S. infantry/sharpshooter service during the Civil War. Jan is owner-manufacturer of the Leder Arsenal in Germany, and highly regarded among the 'authentic' community. He was also a brigade bugler during the Gettysburg BGA 150 event. Jan does regular business with U.S. customers. This bugle would do 'good service' for any USSS company looking to outfit their bugler with an authentic looking and playing instrument.

Quote:
Comrades. A new run of US issue bugles with dovetail seams is coming in soon. The price per bugle is 198 Euro shipping cost is either 30 Euro small parcel ( less padding space but has worked fine in the past) or large parcel 54 Euro plus Paypal fees. Please check out Paypal's currency converter to find out the price in US$, the rates change daily. If you are interested let me know please so I put you on my list.

The AC website also shows pictures of the 'C' bugle with 'pig tail crook' to enable it play in Bb: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/for ... per-bugles

I own one of Jan's 'first run' copper bugles. However, when in the field I still prefer to play my brass Clairon (original-post War; large number were imported from France when demand oustripped U.S. production during the War) because of its ability to be heard over extended skirmish lines and 'sound of battle'.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

This was posted on yesterday's Authentic Campaigner website from Jan Berger:

Quote:
Re: US issue copper bugles
4 bugles are available at a discount price of 210 Euro incl. shipping small parcel! I need space to take this great opportunity!

Jan H.Berger
Hornist
German Mess
http://germanmess.de/
www.lederarsenal.com

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Corporal

I recieved mine just before 150 Wilderness. I also purchased one of Jan's excellent cords that Brian White is going to top dye green for me along with a short shopping list of other things ;-) I will be investing in a modern mouthpiece because the piece that came with it will just not allow my out of practice low brass chops to get solid tone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:49 am 
Sergeant

Greetings Jeremiah,

Good to hear you purchased one of Jari's bugles, and his correct cording. My bugler comrade, Mark Heath and I both own originals and Jari bugles and played them during a practice session at Fort Wayne (when the rest of the battalion was drilling on the parade ground). I found that my original Claironne was easier to play--the notes off the shorter Berger came out slightly flat by comparison. Mark had a similar experience. We also switched around mouthpieces, (both have original and ones recommended/purchased from RJ Samp).

I also found the projection and timbre of my Claironne better than the Berger (this is likely due to the differences in metals: Claironne=brass; Berger=copper). Mark also plays an Amati (brass) Claironne that he was likewise satsified with. Compared to me, Mark has continued to play his Berger bugle at CW and SUVCW events (he regularly is tapped to play 'Taps' at the Lincoln rededications at Springfield every year), and it is now his 'go to bugle' when he has to perform**

Because of its projection abiilities, I brought my Claironne east to serve as 'battalion bugle' for the 150th Gburg event. When I looked at our deployed skirmish line in front of Little Round Top; stretching what seemed half-way across Adams County, I knew I brought the right horn for the job. Even then, the NCO's on the extreme ends later informed me they had difficulty hearing the bugle notes.

In terms of a mouthpiece, I would recommend contacting RJ Samp, who posts on both the AC and CW Reenactor Forum about what type and make of mouthpiece (website: http://www.rjsamp.com/). He is an enthusiastic supporter of buglers and has done much to advance the knowledge and appreciation of bugle signals in modern reenacting. Jari Villaneuva, is like the most popular (see American Civil War bugler website: http://tapsbugler.com/a-reference-guide ... le-bugles/) bugler-musician out there--he is another invaluable source of knowledge and advice.

Hope this helps.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

** Mark (chief bugler for the Great Lakes Battalion) played 'Taps' at the close of both 'battles' at Jackson-Cascades Park this past weekend on his Berger bugle. His playing was 'spot on' and moving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
Corporal

It helps. You are right about the difference that the metal will make in the instrument. I used to play trombone and when I switched up to a brass bell, the tone mellowed noticeably. I'll reach out to RJ Samp and see what he can do for me mouthpiece wise. I'm just struggling getting solid tone from the one I have.