It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 pm 
Sergeant

My old comrade from Co. B, Jeff Carns, called my attention to this 'mint' Shiloh Sharps available for sale on Gun Broker. Here is the write up by the seller:

Quote:

website link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =390856622

Description for Item # 390856622

Selling my Shiloh Sharps 1863 3 band military rifle. .54 caliber, breech loader. This is a FARMINGDALE RIFLE, much rarer than the Big Timber produced rifles. THESE RIFLES ARE NO LONGER LISTED BY SHILOH. PRICED BELOW A NEW RIFLE. REMEMBER THE 11% EXCISE TAX! This rifle is Excellent plus. I have never shot it and purchased it because it looked so clean. It has been shot but maybe a couple of times. I am just saying it had to have been fired because I don't know the round count from the original owner. Nipple is shiny, bore is mirror, bluing great and fabulous case hardening everywhere on the metal. Very minor safe bumps from storage and I have a hard time finding them.

It is a "Used gun" after all! Farmingdale guns were gorgeous. Get this for a new rifle price and you'll have a Farmingdale rifle and a rifle before the price skyrockets. These is a unique time capsule rifle.Routine disclaimer:***USPS MONEY ORDER OR CERTIFIED FUNDS from a MAJOR BANK only. NO WESTERN UNION OR CHECK STORE. If my bank is not comfortable I will wait for it to clear.

This is a black powder only rifle so I can ship to you. Know your laws before bidding. This is not a business for me, I'm just thinning out the collection due to the poor economy. This is a 35+ year collection so check back for something else your interested in. You are welcome to pick up the gun from me if you are a Nevada resident with ccw. I do insure it for the purchase price. Condition ratings are subjective. Please see photos to verify condition. Please ask questions so you are satisfied with the item before you bid. Because I am not a store and I am liquifying my collection, NO RETURNS. Please bid accordingly. As is Where is. I do my best to describe the gunhonestly, but I cannot remember round count details over the decades for specific guns! Many I have never personally fired. Have any gun checked by a licensed gunsmith for safety and for proper functioning. In liquidating this collection I have communicated with some great guys and gals. Additionally, I have dealt with one or two yo-yo's. That is the reason for this statement. It assists that 1% of un-evolved humans to understand this auction process. Shipping quoted for CONUS.Good feedback will follow the same by purchaser. Thank you for looking at this auction. No CA sales. I also suggest priority shipping of funds so you can track it and confirm it arrived for both of us.

You can bid on the rifle for the next two days or purchase it outright for $1945. If you recently visited the Shiloh Sharps website, they no longer list the percussion Sharps NM1863 rifle or carbine.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 pm 
Private

Bill,

I have an order pending for a Shiloh 1863 and have been in contact with them. Lucinda stated that they removed the 1863 models from their catalog and as soon as they run the last batch being made, they are not going to run them again for quite awhile. They are presently not taking anymore orders.
The good news is they are not being discontinued forever.

Chip Knappenberger
2nd. U.S.S.S., CO. C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 am 
Sergeant

Chip,

Good to hear from you after so many years. I think the last time we were together was one of the last Berdan Preservation Assoc meetings during Remembrance Day (2002?--dang, that seems like hundred years ago).

Your information on Shiloh Sharps production sounds familiar. They did the same thing (circa 1996-7) following the release of the popular Tom Selleck movie Quigley Down Under . The general shooting public became aware of their high quality reproduction cartridge rifles and demand for the Quigley's and Post War Sharps 'buffalo' and 'creedmore' rifles overwhelmed the Shiloh factories ability to keep up. To be able to focus on the more popular cartridge guns they suspended NM1863 rifles and carbines production. Despite the suspension, a few guys I knew still had to wait 3 years before delivery of 'their baby'. Shiloh restarted production of the NM1863 percussion guns sometime around 2000. However, the patchbox was now an expensive 'add on' feature (the original NM1863 Sharps retained the patchbox, but were omitted on the carbines). None of the NM1863's featured set triggers, unless the purchaser specially ordered them (or had them installed later).

I am ashamed to admit, when I saw that mint Shiloh on Gunbroker my first instinct was to cash out my IRA and buy it. If anybody knows of the Sharps equivalent of AA, let me know. I think I have a problem.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 pm 
Sergeant

Bill Skillman wrote:
I am ashamed to admit, when I saw that mint Shiloh on Gunbroker my first instinct was to cash out my IRA and buy it. If anybody knows of the Sharps equivalent of AA, let me know. I think I have a problem.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess

Correction, if anyone knows, please post it here. My first thought was to put in on the "just paid off" credit card. Except that my wife probably would have fed it to me...

Calum

140th PVI, Co A
https://www.facebook.com/140pvi/

1st USSS, Co H
http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm 
Private

Bill & Calum,

I wish you gentlemen the best of luck with your recovery and hope you find help before it is too late and turn out like me. You see, I am not only a Sharpsoholic, I am also damn proud of it :D

Chip