It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

I discovered this notice on the Authentic Campaigner this morning:

FS: Berdan Pack, Blanket, Mess Tin AND S&S (Sheads) Overcoat

Dear Friends,

I have available a Berdan Pack made by American Knapsacks, the Mess Tin, Straps and a really good Blanket (I forget the maker - perhaps someone can ID it for us [Auggie?]). The items are either new or used only once or twice. The blanket spent most of its time riding around on the pack. I obtained a second set for a relative who decided not to move ahead with the impression so this set is now surplus to me. See pack at http://acwknapsacks.com/Berdan.html Total for set is $425 shipped CONUS. Please 3% for PayPal. Can be picked up near Gettysburg for a discount. The fife is not included. The mess tin holder is included.

Also available, fantastic reproduction of the Federal Greatcoat. This was obtained from Tim Sheads of S&S in Gettysburg. When I saw this, some time ago, I immediately was reminded of so many originals I've held. The standout twilled material, the shade, the finish of construction. I don't think you will find a much superior reproduction to this one. Size extra large - it has accommodated my shifts in size from 46 to 50 without issue. $325 shipped CONUS. Please add 3% for Paypal. Can be picked up near Gettysburg for a discount

The cost of the knapsack/mess kit/blanket at first seems pretty steep until you factor the cost of trying to buy these items separately--IF you can find them. But for those who want to have the 'ultimate' USSS impression for 1862-3 (and the rare 2nd USSS 'hair trunk' at Petersburg), this might be for you. I can't vouch for the American Knapsacks quality or to what degree their Berdan pack keeps within the original/Packer specifications. It took me a couple years before I bought a greatcoat (from Chris Sullivan, and Dan Wambaugh replaced the cotton lining with correct weight wool), but for early spring and late fall events, it was an excellent investment.

Good morning, Sharpshooters,

I checked on the Authentic Campaigner site this morning and noticed Mr. Novicki has dropped the price of both the Berdan-Tiffany knapsack/ mess kit and the overcoat by $50 each ($375 for the knapsack).

I had lunch with Dan Wambaugh yesterday (May 17) and he informed me that the Berdan-Tiffany knapsack has been 'scooped up' by a Wolverine. The greatcoat is still for sale as of this morning. Congratulations to the Sharpshooter who purchased it--you've got a rare treasure, wear it with pride.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess