It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:51 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow sharpshooters

I wanted to bring to your attention a Sharpshooter uniform coat that is now up for sale on the Authentic Campaigner website, offered by Terry Scorchy. Dan Wambaugh has highly recommended Jim's work, and since I own one of the 'first issue' coats that he made, I fully support Dan's opinion.

For Sale: Size 40-42 USSS frock coat. This coat was made by Jim Ruyle. I t has awesome keyhole buttonholes, padded and quilted chest. The fabric was made by FHW for this project. I will have pics up tonight. Asking 250.00 includes S&H

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:53 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

I forgot to include how to contact Terry.

terry_sorchy@hotmail.com. Or call me at 608-293-0585.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

If you are interested in Terry's coat please ask him if the material reacts to sweat. The 'first issue' wool that the Randolf Mess procured that was made into uniform coats had a nasty problem of turning orange when exposed to sweat. You could reverse the problem by washing the affected area-or just not sweat much (which was the case for me).

Looking at the photos provided by Terry on the AC, the color of his coat is has more of the traditional dark green, whereas our first issue material was more of an olive drab shade. Just something to ask the seller.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:50 pm 
Sergeant

That's actually my old frock coat! Bill is right, it is one of three coats made for the Randolph Mess by Jim Ruley, a very talented self-trained tailor who is well versed in mid-19th Century garment patterning and construction. The fabric is Family Heirloom Weaver's very first run of dark green cloth....yes, it does turn orange for some people who sweat on it. I was told that the color-changing properties are based on a person's pH balance but if any of the cloth does happen to turn orange then a spot-rinse in pretty much any bar soap will turn it back.

However......I did try to prevent this from happening to me by eventually top-dying the entire coat (except sleeve linings). The collar was also lowered by me and a dark green kersey inner collar replaced the older worn one.

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 pm 
Sergeant

I saw the post on Authentic Campaigner and Terry sent me photos before he put them up. The Coat looks great and the inside is just amazing. I was tempted to buy it, but with the size of the Coat I would have to wear it completly unbuttoned. LOL... Yeah it would be really snug on me as I wear a 44-46 jacket. Another awesome jacket I had to pass up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 am 
Link to the referenced item: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21005