It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:48 pm 
Sergeant

Just wanted to know if anyone is planning on attending the Ohio Civil War Collectors and Artillery Show in Mansfield, Ohio next weekend May 2-3? For those who are not sure what it is, it one of the biggest shows in the US for Civil War Artifacts. Many people have found Berdan Sharp Shooter CDV and many other things. I wish that they would include Friday into the event as it would take three full days to look at all the tables in detail. With our C.O.I. ending at 11 am that Sunday morning I'm going to try to make it there within the last few hours they're open.

Here is a website of the event http://ohiocivilwarshow.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 am 
Sergeant

Joseph,

I will be there with my friends and messmates Dan Wambaugh, Chad Fuller, Mike Fahle, and I also think Bill Skillman may come down for it as well. We will be there on Saturday.

If you're interested in the good stuff, make sure you ask the vendors and dealers about what they might not have on display. They usually keep a good amount of stuff behind the tables. A few years ago a complete 2nd Regiment photo album was at the show, behind the counter, but the dealer decided on Sunday to break it up. Last year I found a nice letter grouping from Edwin Aldritt, Co. A 2nd that was being sold...those dealers had a tintype of him as well but refused to sell. Probably five years ago I got a very nice 203rd PVSS image.

I guess what I'm saying is check the photo tables carefully and strike up conversations!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 pm 
Sergeant

Friends,

The Ohio Civil War Show was pretty decent this year. There were two impressive Sharpshooter displays, one by John Walsh and Bob Becker that included original sharpshooter weapons, photos, reunion ribbons, a Sharps cartridge box, a DST Sharps dug at Malvern Hill in the 1950's (!!!!!!!), etc. This display was massive and had absolutely excellent visuals. It dealt pretty evenly with eastern and western Sharpshooters, with a focus on Berdan's and Birge's regiments. John and Bob were great guys to talk to and were very open to sharing and discussion. The second display, although smaller, dealt solely with Berdan's Sharpshooters and included an alleged Sharps cart. box, a shot metal target dug near an original USSS camp site, rifles, CDV's, letters, etc..

Lots of people to meet and talk to, a pretty large crowd, and a little more stuff out on the tables this year. I'm also the proud owner of a 1998 made Frank Packer Tiffany & Co. knapsack fresh out the box and unused which I picked up within the first fifteen minutes of the show!

----------------------------------
Randolph Mess, U.S. Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:16 pm 
Sergeant

I hate you Brian!!!! With the New Knapsack... :x

Well I went with my girlfriend to the show Sunday around Noon thinking I would have some time to look around. Boy was I wrong!! We went to visit our very good friend Lori who make dresses and bonnets from Michigan, and she was waiting for Alex and I to show and give her a dress. That was about a 45 min. ordeal and then over to our other very good friend Cecilia, owner of Lady in White....Well lets just say that they all three got together and basically that was until the end of the show. The bad thing was I left my phone out and the car and I just didn't want to leave and then try to find her.

So basically there were a lot of people and only went into the sutler building and the Fairlawn building where I saw a CDV of Berdan going for about $500.00......A little bit out of my price range. I wasn't able to see any of the Berdan stuff that Brian talked about and didn't get to see much or buy anything even though I had the money :( But although we didn't walk away empty handed that my girlfriend walked out of there a new Riding Dress!!!