It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Socket Bayonets
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:21 pm 
Sergeant

Now with the modification that Berdan stated when he contacted Christian Sharps that the New Double Trigger Rifle to have Socket Bayonets. That they were specially made to go along with the Rifles. Now I'm sure that they had supplies back in Washington City when they need one, if one was broken or lost. But, what happend on the campaign when they couldn't get the request fast enough.? Back then was there anyother Socket Bayonet that could have been used for a short time until the request came thru? I think that you have to order a modified, Springfield?, to get a Socket Bayonet for your Sharps Rifle today? (Tell me if I'm wrong)

Post subject: Re: Socket Bayonets
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Joseph,

If you take a Springfield Bayonet and open the bore and area that goes above the front site, it will fit a modern Sharps.

Company “C” 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm 
Sergeant

Joseph and Fellow Sharpshooters.

If you use the search feature on your computer and type in “Co. B. 2nd USSS” you should be able to locate the old Michigan reenactor/company website (better yet, just go to: http://geocities.com/Pentagon/6949/.) Therein, you will find a series of articles I wrote circa 2001-4. The one article I think is most apropos for Joe’s inquiry is entitled: Getting to the Point-those pesky bayonets again”. In the article I describe my research using the Caspar Trepp papers, particularly the 1st USSS Ordnance reports. Unfortunately, the rest of the ‘What did they wear?’ articles consist of my earliest writing and research, that have been eclipsed by more comprehensive and up-to-date research.

It is good to hear that Fall Creek is still offering for sale bayonets for Armi Sport Sharps rifles. When Thom Winter told me about this option a few years ago, I contacted Fall Creek to see if I could purchase one separately? I was informed that this option was only for the new Armi-Sports rifles. I don’t know if this is still the case, haven’t checked.

When I discussed the possibility of having a bayonet fitted for my Shiloh with Mr. Zimmerman, he informed me that he would have to: (a) remove the existing front sight mount, (b) reduce the diameter of the barrel-starting from the muzzle to 6 inches back, (c) reconfigure a Springfield bayonet to fit the new barrel, (d) weld on a Springfield mount/front sight. The real ‘deal buster’ was when he told me that I couldn't use my Sharps for live firing after the conversion. I don’t know if old Zim was just getting tired of my hanging around and asking him annoying questions, or if he was being dead on honest. Needless to say, I beat feet out of his tent, pronto.

Accompanying my ‘Pesky Bayonets’ article is one that Dan Wambaugh wrote on how to convert original Springfield/Enfield or reproduction bayonets to fit our Sharps. A number of the Michigan fellows have successfully done this.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
Sergeant

Bill,
Do you think that's a good buy on the Bayonet at $125.00 of them doing the work and having it stamped from Fall Creek? As I bought an Armi Sport DST Sharps Rifle at the 145th Gettysburg, this should work for my rifle. I wouldn't get a scabbard from the as I am planning to get one in the Federal Issue Accoutrements Set #2 (.58cal) from Duvall Leatherworks. But I was thinking of maybe looking at original bayonets at the Horse Soldier in two weeks and the Ohio Civil War Show in Mansfield this year to maybe find one for a decent price and fit it. I just don't want to be stuck with the cheaper steel products as Dan and yourself have stated.

But in the long run I would like to actually see a stack of Sharps Rifles with the bayonets on. At 145th Gettysburg we managed it without the bayonets as we used the sling of one. It was actually funny. Here's a picture if it

But I think that a bayonet is an important part of the Sharpshooter Equipment because of the couple of bayonet charges the did do. Like the one during in late part of 1863. Battle of Manassas Gap or Battle of Auburn. Sorry I don't have my text here as I loaned them out to others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:55 pm 
Private

I bought an Armi Sport Bayonet from Fall Creek back in 2005, but just could not stomach the $125 bones for a bayonet. So I talked with Bruce Mayhew of Castle Keep (http://www.reenact.com/) who does Co. C of the 2nd in IL. He had a bunch of socket bayonets that he got from a supplier in India (were most are made anyway) and had some made to fit his units sharps. I found one of the extras in his box o bayonets for $30, it fit my Armi Sport with out any modification except some slight unscrewing of the locking lug screw so it would turn.

I dont know if he has any more of these, but it might be worth it to contact him for a more affordable bayonet.

JP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:23 pm 
Sergeant

Bringing this back up. But should it be a .69 Cal. Springfield Bayonet or a .58 Cal Springfield Bayonet? or does it matter. I have a person willing to sell me a brand new bayonet with scabbard for $30. I would mind doing the mods myself. I just haven't heard anything back from Fall Creek about the correct marking that I showed them thru photos provided by Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:33 pm 
Corporal

KangViper wrote:
Bringing this back up. But should it be a .69 Cal. Springfield Bayonet or a .58 Cal Springfield Bayonet? or does it matter. I have a person willing to sell me a brand new bayonet with scabbard for $30. I would mind doing the mods myself. I just haven't heard anything back from Fall Creek about the correct marking that I showed them thru photos provided by Dave.

I'm very curious as to that answer myself.