It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 pm 
Sergeant

When I got home from the our meeting weekend on sunday night. I sent an email to Fall Creek requesting information on their reproduction Sharps Socket Bayonet to purchase. But I had to request information because of their description of the item:

Sharps Bayonet and Scabbard, for Berdan and Infantry Model Sharps three band rifles (Armi Sport).
The bayonet is a Springfield style, with correct US markings and an inspectors stamp "C".
These bayonets are hand fitted by our gunsmith to fit the Berdan and Infantry Rifles. The supply is limited and subject to availability.

Now from what you guys have told me to look for on originals, it shows that their reproduction is incorrect. I contacted Andy at Fall Creek and I explained to him that there were no US markings and that there were "C & C" markings on the socket of the bayonet for Collins and Co. He said that I was the first one to tell them about this, and then he send the information to his gunsmith. Also I sent pictures of the original bayonet that Dave had on the forum showing his original Sharps. But Andy said that the picture weren't close enough to see the detail.

I don't have any references from books or photos of my own, so if you guys can help out by maybe putting text references or more detailed photos on this topic so I can forward the information on to Andy. So he is able to make the more correct style bayonet than what he has produced so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Should be marked C & Co for Collins & Co, with no US marks.

Company ā€œCā€ 2nd Regt. U.S. Sharpshooters
http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 pm 
Corporal

No U.S. markings, well shoot, that's another black mark against the Fall Creek bayonet then. Mine has a small "U.S." mark with a smaller "S" (Springfield?) beneath it on the concave edge of the blade near the base, so that's a mistake...another in addition to the fact that the one they sent me doesn't fit onto my rifle! :(