It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:24 am 
Sergeant

Corporal Smith,

Greetings from across the pond! I am very pleased that your lads have had the opportunity to use the pasteboard boxes as my comrades in the Mess do here in the States. I agree with your comrades initial sentiments that the boxes 'are too nice to 'spoil' by opening and using them. But when your getting pushed by a company of Sesech it is the quickest and easiest way to 'keep making music on the skirmish line' that I know of. Congratulations on your success and keep us posted on future employment of the boxes.

You will find my article on how to manufacture both flat base and 'clip tail' cartridges in this forum. My comrades are partial to the former type of cartridge (flat base); though Dan Wambaugh got in a hurry for last years Malvern Hill living history and twisted up some coffee filter 'double trouble (cartridge can be inserted either way and clipped) rounds that turned out to be too wide to fit the chamber of his Garrett or my Shiloh. Thankfully, I always carry 100 rds for these types of contingencies. We had plenty for the event.

Bill Skillman
Randolf Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:11 pm 
Corporal

Thanks for the example you sent me Mr. Skillman! It was a great part of my impression this summer!

This is the part where I admit that I'm having trouble finding a good pasteboard box to get started with. Has anyone found a good source of "close" boxes to begin with, or am I going to have to do surgery on a box this winter just to get started?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:21 pm 
Private

Jason,

I came across a supply of those boxes at a Michaels craft store. The boxes I found had a fancy cover which I tore off and put a more suitable cover on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm 
Private

Bill, Just wondering if you were planning on making a "how to" with pictures similar to your cartridge one tat you did a few months back. Id love to have a few boxes for my sister and I when we go back for the 150th Gettysburg. I just want to be able to make these right without having to worry about a screw up on my part.

Ethan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
Sergeant

Ethan and Fellow Sharpshooters;

After promising Cal and other readers, over the Xmas holiday I got out a pair of 'unissued' jewelry boxes and shot photos of how to convert them into pasteboard ammo boxes. Unfortunately, I became enamored with the original Sharps ammo boxes, particularly the neat triangular fold on the front and narrow closure strips on the sides and back. I got so caught up in trying to recreate them that a typical 20 minute project took me nearly two hours. I realized that NOBODY will want to spend that amount of time trying to produce a single 'perfect' pasteboard box. So, I took some of my old 'beater' boxes' removed their original paper covering and refinished them. Got photos of them as well. Then I wanted to add a separate section on how to build a pasteboard box from scratch, using flat 'shirtboard'. Needless to say, what started out as a simple, straightforward job has ballooned into the 'Ultimate Paste Board Sharps Ammo Box Project'.

Sooooo, I my goal this weekend will be to create a simple photo essay on how to make my original 'prototype' boxes. Once that is posted, then I can devote the rest of my time to creating a new essay for the other boxes. For traveling, using the pasteboard boxes is the best way to transport your cartridges, (either stowed in your knapsack or tote).

Will you be coming for the Blue-Gray Alliance event the last weekend in June or the GAC in July?

Thanks for your patience.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 pm 
Private

Sounds about the same things that happen with me Bill, one project just builds into some HUGE other thing then have to step back and think what I was tying to do in the first place.I look forward to seeing your photo essay on making the boxes.

As for the Gettysburg event, I will be attending the GAC with my little sister and others from my company over here. Id LOVE to go to both, but money and work wont allow it to happen sadly.

Thank you
Ethan