It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 pm 
Corporal

I also came across these. It looks like the boxes were filled, and then wrapped up like most people wrap a gift. There doesn't appear to be any pull string as you commonly find on the Remington ammo boxes and the like. It may be that there were different packaging standards for different manufacturers. The original pictures in this section is Washington Arsenal whereas this is Sharps brand. Does anyone have any experience handling these? Is there a hidden string folded under a flap or something?

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.c ... em_011.htm

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.c ... em_001.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 am 
Sergeant

Update October 2020

The link Jeremiah provided many years ago has been changed. McPheeters sold the original linen Sharps cartridges and the link is now for post-war brass Sharps cartridges. Here is a box of original Sharps linen cartridges manufactured by the Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. Unlike the Washington Arsenal made Sharps cartridges, that provided a date of production, the SRMCO were undated

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.c ... em_023.htm

Jeremiah,

If you go to the last page of my How to Make Sharps Cartridges article you will see a pasteboard box that has the string opener. I made up some for the Greenfield Village event, but didn't have the opportunity to try them.

You inspired me to make up some new pasteboard boxes last night because my original jewelry boxes are reaching the end of their 'field life' (8 years). I use the 3M, very thin, 6 inch wide, brown masking paper. After studying my results against the original photos, my paper still appears to be too thick. I've noticed subtle differences between the Sharps pasteboard ammo boxes produced by different manufacturers. I haven't made a point of collecting all the images and analyzing them yet, but might make for an interesting project in the future.

As promised, I am sending you along 1 'Type One' jewelry/pasteboard box, and three 'file folder' boxes (along with template so you can make more if you and your comrades so desire). I also am sending along 10 empty 'flat base' cartridge tubes and a supply of shirt tissue so you can make up a supply of Ordnance rds for Fort Geiger. Finally, I am also sending along a roll of paper with ten "10 Cartridges/Sharps Mfg. Co./Hartford" stamps--you can use this to take to a stamp maker to create your own.

I'll be very interested in hearing about your results using these cartridges instead of the 'cut off tail' version used by the majority of USSS out there.

I will soon be sending Dave my photo essay on How to Make Sharps Cartridges-in Pictures. Since I tend to be more 'right brain'-visual/pattern oriented (from skimming schematic instructions/assembling over 150 WW2 model airplanes as a kid) I thought that other Sharpshooters might find this method easier to use when making their own 'flat base' cartridges.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm 
Corporal

After reading your article. I have made roughly 100 flat based cartridges using receipt printer paper off the roll and cigarette rolling paper for the base. The paper is non-nitrated, but I am reasonably confident it will combust completely. Since I have an unmodified Pedersoli, I'd like to stay in the fight a little longer than 5 rounds...thus...my choice to use your pattern rounds.

As for the pull string...I see it in your article....I just don't see how it works in the pictures I posted.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 am 
Sergeant

Jeremiah,

When Brian White, Dan Wambaugh, Chad Fuller and I attended the Malvern Hill living history a few years back we had to turn over all of our blank rounds to the Chief Ranger for safe-keeping. After the artillery demo, it was our turn; the Ranger issuing ammo packs to each of the boys.

Since there was nobody to describe what the USSS did during the battle or their tactics; I remained behind with my bugle to talk with the spectators and Rangers. After giving a brief description of the history of the USSS and their roles as sharpshooters and skirmishers; I proceeded to give a compressed description of how Co. F (VT) was deployed during the battle. I blew the bugle and the boys advanced thru the wheat stubble about 25 yards. I then blew 'halt' and 'commence firing'. I noticed that Brian's single trigger Ped, 'Old Busted', (uncharacteristically) was keeping up 'good music' on his end of the line. After the demo, Brian was ectastic, informing me that he was issued a box of my 'flat base' rounds instead of his traditional 'twist tail' ones. He was used to popping 2 caps for every shot--this time he was 100% ignition the first time. Unfortunately, Chad was issued Brian's 'twist tail' blanks and was having an ignition only after firing two caps (his 'music' was 'pop and swear', 'pop and swear', 'fire and swear'). So, I gained a new convert, (Brian), and reinforced the choice, (Chad), of using flat based blanks in Sharps reproduction rifles; no matter what make.

100 rounds should last over 2 days. If you are doing tacticals, you will do a lot more 'scoot and shoot' instead of 'burning powder'. Most reenactors burn WAY too much powder. When I take to the field in a battle scenario I automatically go into shooting basics; go prone or kneel, find a rest when possible, control my breathing, examine the battlefield to locate high priority targets (officers, high NCO's sharpshooters, cannon crews); aim for the second-third button on their uniform, get perfect sight alignment, squeeze trigger, recover from recoil, scan for next target. All the boys in my section are instructed to do the same thing. It slows down rate of fire but also makes the boys really appreciate the role of being a sharpshooter.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad-USSS