It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters

I received a catalog from the Gettysburg Heritage Center (gift shop) and was surprised to discover they had for sale the U.S. Sharpshooters medal that was created during the late 1880-90's to coincide with the publication of Berdan's United States Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac.

The original veterans were very proud to wear these medals at GAR and USSS reunions. Both the Hudson Gazette and Shakopee Courier (MN) prominently displayed photos of the medals on their front pages with the publication of Berdan Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomac..

The modern reproduction, from my memory, was recreated by an artisan or a member of the Wisconsin Company (G-1) who competed with the North South Skirmish Association during the 1990's. I purchased 3 for myself (1 going to my late uncle who kindled my love of shooting and Sharpshooters--it is still affixed to my daughter's Angel Bear beanie baby that she gave to him and sat on his bedside after his stroke).

If you are looking for a nice Christmas present to add to your list. It is listed for $19.99.

http://store.gettysburgmuseum.com/produ ... rpshooters

Seasons Greetings to all friends and comrades in Green.

Bill Skillman
Bugler
USSS

Last edited by Bill Skillman on Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am 
Sergeant

Fellow Sharpshooters,

Update November 2020

The 1880-1890’s Berdan Sharpshooters Association Survivors medal is available for sale. If you use the link above and scroll to “Collectables” you will find the medal. The sale price has stayed at $19.99. Would make a nice trinket to put in a Sharpshooters stocking this Christmas.

Bill Skillman
Hudson Squad Mess